Nuendo (Pro Tools SRC) Film to NTSC

Is this the only sticking point? I seem to recall people asking for time stamps in BWFs to be overhauled for other reasons as well.

Forgive me, but I am very confused.
You mean that you “pull” (SRC) your original 24fps master to 23.976 fps?
Thereby breaking/throwing away your original 24fps master?

Fredo

I have to test this to be sure what I am talking about.
But in theory, PT might keep the original time stamp when your file starts at 00:00:00:00 or 01:00:00:00, etc …
But what happens if there are ref tones, leaders and 2pops before the starting point of the movie?
Thereby starting @ 00:59:00:00 or others.
I really can’t believe that PT keeps the original starting point (say 01:00:00:00) within the BWV.

Fredo

Give it a try. When I sample rate all the files in PT, I can then create a new 23.976 project in Nuendo and bring in the new PT converted wav files in and the time stamps are all correct in the new pulled down project.
Not sure how PT does this, but it is a massive time saver for me as I tend to get most of my audio from Warner Bros at 24fps but we work in 23.98 so all their files need conversion.
I guess I’m just trying to never need PT and we’re so close.
Cheers,
Grant

1 Like

My memory is probably of an older problem with Nuendo regarding time stamps in BWAVs, and it was years ago and I think it was solved.

I don’t see why that wouldn’t work? Yes, the file becomes longer or shorter. (The sound lower or higher.) But the timestamp for the beginning remains identical.

In the context of the described procedure, the use of “24fps” and “23.976fps” may sound a bit strange. But in this case it should only serve as a help, because “48048 Hz”, “47952 Hz”, “46080 Hz” etc. don’t sound really sexy. (And this is also an advantage of PT’s import dialog: You don’t have to remember these values.)

The important thing is that this kind of conversion is practically lossless and fast.

I’m not an expert at all, but maybe this helps. In the export window is a settings window for BWF metadata. There you can set the BWF timestamp manually. If that works correctly that could be a small inconvenience less in your workflow?
A question though: why can’t Warner sent you files at 23.xx ? Or could you work at 24fps? (I’m never working on projects that need this typenof conversion).

If the starting position of the file is 00:59:00:00, then after becoming longer or sorter, the 01:00:00:00 point (thus in the original 10 seconds later) will never be at 01:00:00:00 when stretched.

But I might be misunderstanding this completely wrong, since I don’t have a clue how it’s done in PT. I only assume from the comments that you don’t have to import/export the file for conversion.
Which an sich is strange, because who wants to distroy a “master” file!?
So there must be somthing I am missing.

Fredo

It’s an extra cost for them to convert so I just do it myself. As for destroying the Master File, you’re copying them in the PT window. Basically it’s a File copy with conversion and keeping timestamps to the new rate, so what was 1hr at 24fps becomes 1hr at 2398.
I can make a video of what I do in PT and post to YouTube so you can see what I mean.
Grant

1 Like

That would be nice.
Always willing to learn.

Fredo

Hi Fredo,
Here’s a YouTube link for ProTools.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ5hc48OdJ4

Thanks,
Grant

2 Likes

That is a really good workflow. I can see why you miss it.

So, you say that when doing the same (but slightly different) in Nuendo, it doesn’t work?

-Import in Pool
-Right-click on file(s)
-Processes => Resample
-Dial in correct numbers
-Apply

Haven’t tested this properly, but I do know that metadata is preserved while doing this.
So it is strange that you say that the BWS Timestamp is not preserved.
But again, haven’t tested this properly.

Fredo

I’ll give it a try. It’s just that it requires the user to do it all as opposed to having all be automated. Sometimes, I’m doing large amounts of SRC that can even take PT up to 1 hour. I can’t imagine how long that would take in Nuendo. Anyway, I know this is something that Brian Eimer has been speaking with Timo about for at least 2 years. I just figured it would be a relatively good add on for anyone working in Nuendo.

Hi Fredo,
Just tried it. It does not work. It basically resamples and puts the new file in the Edits folder. I change the time which I think should save that metadata. It does not. The BWF stamp is still the same. So clearly the only true way to do this would be to import all the files. Create a project with the tracks placed where needed. Then you resample the files. Change the frame rate of the project and ensure those resampled files are moved to the correct start points. Then you need to mixdown each stem in order for them to be saved with the correct speed and BWF time stamp. Sadly, that is all user work and will take hours and hours of time. I guess I’m sticking with PT for that job. Hopefully Nuendo 13 will be the lucky number :slight_smile:

Sorry. I haven’t seen the rest of the answers. @grantmc video explains everything. I shouldn’t answer forum posts after 48 hours without sleep. :rofl:

Correct. A SRC while importing. :blush:

The process is (almost) lossless. But of course, depending on the situation, you should keep a copy of the original. :wink:

What I wanted to say: PT knows the timecode and it knows what frame rate to convert to. That’s all PT needs to know. And of course you usually do that at the beginning of a project.

We also do subtitles. This often requires us to adjust the subtitles to a different frame rate. That’s two clicks in any subtitling program: and the subtitles fit the new frame rate. As these are fixed conversion values, the result is always the same. And the same goes for an audio file.