Nuendo record performance vs. PT

There must be an X factor here some where. And not only the disk drive. I can without problems record 128 tracks at 64 samples latency with Nuendo in OS X 10.9.2

Hello psvennevig,

As can we - as long as we’re using one of several drives we’ve demonstrated as doing well - Seagate 7200.x, WD Blue, WD Black; I’m sure there are others that do well. However I’m betting you’re not recording 128 tracks to a recent generation Toshiba mechanism, we’ve demonstrated to Avastor and others the repeatability of this. The interesting thing to me is whether it occurs on a Win7 Nuendo machine as well and the only way to test that is for us to send a Win7/multi-madi user one of our 23 Toshiba mechanisms that have tested badly.

Hello Fredo,

I used to freak out PT users by demonstrating that you could pull the power on Nuendo during recording and get most of it back. I haven’t tested that in a while…

Hugh

When going from 5.5 to N6 I definitely had some hard drive issues. There were a couple of songs that I could not port over because of it and Nuendo 6 seemed to take a little more time to catch up when scrolling around with high track count projects.

This was the thread around the issue. It was never really addressed.

Hugh, the interesting thing is that you were testing N5.5 and N6 and found the same thing more or less.

I have not had any more of the show stopper issues with N6 so it hasn’t been a problem since then.

Dean

Only drives I use are: WD Black, HGST Enterprise and different SSDs.

I don’t think I’ve seen a Toshiba disk for years.

Pål

I would like to just chime in that N6 is beautiful but seems to be slower to export and just run with a bit higher VST than say N5 and it must have to do with the visual overhaul. The safety factor is there but I think most people would agree they are using a UPS in studio. I would like there to be preferences to scale Nuendo 6 back again. I find it works nicely on my older quad core computers but the CPU usage is definitely greater. I use RAIDing and don’t have any disk speed performance issues. I think it’s a major change under the hood.

Josh

ASIO guard is using cpu. Turn it off and you’ll see CPU load like in N5.5. However you won’t have the security of ASIO guard.

Pål

Does ASIO guard protect the export audio mixdown function? Would hyperthreading introduce clicks and pops into the tracks?

My tests show a difference of about 4 minutes with a 50 minute 5.1 mix with several stems.

On some computers hyper thread can be a mess yes. On new Macs you should turn of HT.
Use the app “Instruments” to do this. Instruments comes with the free download Xcode.

Pål