Nuendo Studio settings chaos again.

Just took a chance and purchased the upgrade from N7 to N8.

Why is it impossible for a Nuendo update to read the default Input, Output, Control Room, preferences and plugin path settings from the previous version???

They are not going to change are they from one minute to the next?

Now I’ve got to re-enter all of those settings again, even though they are already there and already known to Nuendo!!!

Dismally, pathetically inept.

How difficult would it be to read the relevant files from the previous version present in the Steinberg folder and copy them to the new version?

If someone believes that this is not a good idea why not add an option to do so as part of the install?

This is rudementary stuff - it’s an update after all, not a completely new installation!

What a pain.

Steinberg, please wake up.

I didn’t have this issue upgrading from N7 to N8. My upgrade was to N8.1.0, subsequent upgrades then to 8.2.0.

My Nuendo system is in C:\program files\Steinberg as usual, always has been. I didn’t decide that location, Steinberg did, years ago.

Don’t understand the response. I was wondering if it might be an issue for some going straight to the latest version, 8.2 with all the cubase additions from N7. What has your install location got to do with your issue?

No, I installed N8.0.1 first from the download assistant and then the N8.2 update.

The point about the install location is that if I had Nuendo installed in some weird \bla\di\bla location I could understand the update not finding my settings, but it is installed in the standard Steinberg location so there is no reason why the update would not be able to locate my settings, other than sloppy programming of course.

FWIW: load up an earlier project or template. Those will have former IO settings, then simply re-save these into the defs. Only takes a few seconds.

Yes, that is a good tip, but it does not help with Device Setup, External Effects, External Instruments, Control Room, Preferences and plugin paths (outside of Steinberg’s own default paths) - all have to be re-installed/setup.

All of the missing settings are available in the previously installed version of Nuendo on the same machine, so I can not understand why they are not automatically transferred to the new version during an update installation.

Perhaps someone from Steinberg would be kind enough to explain why this is not being done. I’ve asked before but got no explanation.

I’ve spent eight hours today just re-setting N8 with all of my settings from N7 just to be able to open and run the project I was working on last night. That is ludicrous. And it happens with every update.

Updating to a new version of any software should be a piece-of-cake, not a complete nightmare as every Nuendo update seems to be.

How’s it going with the track count issue you were discussing back with N7? Horrid install aside, can you run 240 on this iteration, or is the track count, via Tango, still declining?

There has been a definite improvement. As an experiment, I added all 240 Tango tracks in Device Setup in N7 and N8.2. I then created a new, empty project in both (I had to add one track so that the FLS checker plugin could be loaded - SEE BELOW). In N7 there were 10 slots remaining and in N8.2 there were 28 remaining. I believe that these figures were helped by removing anything I don’t need from the C:\Components folder (ADR, 3Dconnectorski, vstconnect,euconadapter, DolbyAtmos and Reconform).

Note: Arturia’s Analog Lab 3 plugin apparently uses 43 slots - so goodbye to that one!

So things are looking better and hopefully Steinberg will be able to make some more progress on this in the fullness of time.

I am going to try to retain the 240 Tango tracks and keep an eye on the plugins I use, with fingers crossed.

This issue is not present on Apple Macs, but I just can’t see myself switching from PC at this stage of the game - too many as yet unknown complications will present themselves I’m sure.

‘twelvetwelve’ on this forum has developed a very useful, and free, FLS slot checker plugin. Insert the plugin on any track and it will report how many slots are still available to a project. This has given me much more information on what is actually happening. It shows how many slots each plugin takes. The inbuilt Steinberg plugins do not appear to use any slots (so I will be trying to use them as much as possible). UAD, Arturia and Izotope plugins use between 2 and 5 slots in the main, but only on the first iteration of each plugin - further uses of the same plugin on other tracks do not require more slots. Obviously, using six different UAD plugins would use a lot of slots.

Here is the plugin:

I didn’t develop the plug-in - Takashi deserves all the credit for that one.

OK, Big up to Takashi - well done!

Man that sounds like a real hassle, constantly having to monitor resources. It’s like the old days of monitoring Synth Polyphony. What do you do if you get a film project that exceeds 240 tracks?

I don’t. But if I did, any tracks can be assigned to the Tango’s physical faders if necessary.