Number of tracks limited?

Hello,

I’m currently using Cubase LE AI Elements 10, and when I record a song, the maximum number of audio tracks that I can add caps at 17. It doesn’t let me add any more than this, as the box is greyed out.

When I Google the maximum cubase tracks, I often see 36, and not 17. Could anyone explain to me how to make it so I can record more audio tracks at a time?

Thanks!

Hi,

17 is a weird number in any case. Are you sure, there are no hidden tracks?

It is definitely a weird number, but as far as I know, there are no hidden tracks.

Hi,

Is it reproducible with all projects? Could you try in Safe Start Mode, please?

Hi Martin, sorry for the late response.

I’ve been searching for a possible solution to this 16-track maximum (It now caps at 16 instead of 17, and I truly do not understand why).

I’m wondering, how do I begin Safe Start on Windows? It looks like you need a command key to do that, and my keyboard lacks one.

Hi,

Could you try in Cubase Safe Start Mode [Disable preferences], please?

Hi Martin,

I have tried starting in safe mode, and I disabled my program preferences. I still am now capped at 16 audio tracks, and if I try to add more, the option is greyed out and unclickable.

Do you have any other recommendations?

Hi,

I have just tested this with Cubase AI here on my side. I can create 32 Audio tracks. Cubase Elements has 48 Audio tracks available.

• Is it an empty project? Aren’t there any tracks hidden?
  • Are you sure, you add Audio tracks, no other type of tracks?
  • Could you provide a screenshot, please?

Hello,

Yes, this is an empty project. As far as I know, there are no hidden tracks. I have attached a screenshot of what Cubase looks like when I have opened a new project, added a total of 16 audio tracks, and have attempted to add a 17th track. As you can see, the “audio” function is greyed out.

Hi,

I’m out of ideas, I’m sorry…

That’s okay, thanks for trying to help anyway. Please let me know if you discover anything new that might explain it.

Hi,

I’m just what would be the result, if you would install your Cubase to a fresh (other) system.

I don’t have any other places to install it at the moment, but if I ever do I’ll let you know what happens!

Just out of curiosity, what’s in the FX Channels and Input/Output Channels folders?

cubey2

Here’s a picture of the contents of the FX Channels and Input/Output Channels folders.

From my decades old memories, I seem to remember that the cheaper versions of Cubase once had their track counts limited by Steinberg, in order to encourage upgrades. This many or may not still be the case. Perhaps check out a features comparison chart, the only one I can find here states that Cubase Elements has track count limited, does not mention LE.

The AI version only supports 16 inputs, that is a limitation of this free version.

Hi,

But on the screenshots, these are clearly not an Input Channels, these are an Audio Tracks.

Btw, here is the Cubase editions comparison chart, where you can see the tracks count limits of every single Cubase edition.

Well I’m still on AI 9.5, 32 audio tracks and 16 inputs.
Can not recreate this behavior. i can add 100 tracks in an empty project and 32 will be created. If I again add any audio tracks ( not greyed out) , i get a warning message that maximum number of tracks are reached . If I delete 30 tracks, leave 2, in the project, then adding 100 audio tracks will not come up with the warning, but just add 30 tracks.

I have had similar problems in this program and I concluded that the problem was with my processor which will overload if I try to open more than 16 tracks and export. Also, when I use the synthesizer virtual instruments (poly and wave) it puts more strain on the processor and can affect how many tracks it can handle.