Numbering repeated sections for ease of reading

It seems that is not the same as counting the two-bar phrases, as in Fred’s reply below.

How did you achieve that please?

I did find one source that numbered the 2-bar repeats, Kurt Stone’s “Music Notation in the Twentieth Century.”

This seems … not possible to do in Dorico, because as soon as I remove the 2 glyph, the erase background feature for it wipes out some of the music. I tried vertical positioning, a non-breaking space, Alpha 0, and other tricks but I can’t seem to work it out. It seems like this should be possible so maybe someone else can find a way to remove the 2.

Honestly, removing the 2 seems dangerous too as players are accustomed to seeing it there, so I’m not sure what the best standard for this should be. The workarounds above used numbered bar regions with the number set in Properties for the top one, then just text for the bottom. Maybe the bottom solution with the repeat count number under the staff would be a better looking option.

In any case, this is not something that Dorico is going to automatically do for you so you’ll have to find a way to get the look that you want to achieve.

Hello,
has there been any update on this issue yet?

Can you be a bit more specific about the problem you’re trying to solve, Andy?

Hi Daniel,
I often have to write 2 or 4 bar repeats across long sections, especially for drums.
It is just not easy to sight read a lot of 2 and 4 bar repeats that are not numbered. The common way I know to write a lot of 2/4 bar repeats is to leave out the “2” or “4” of the bar repeat sign and number the bars.
The repeats are indicated anyway with the 2 or 4 slashes in the repeat sign.
I have not yet found a good workaround that is not immensely time consuming.
I really wish this could be added in the future.
Cheers,
Andy

This is how I write multiple 2 and 4 bar repeats, but this does not to seem possible in Dorico.

What you could do is create a line body style whose line body has a thickness of 0, and whose centre line annotation is the 2-bar repeat symbol, and input that with barline end attachments. You’d also need to scale the bar rests down to 1% manually (using Properties panel > Common group > Custom scale).

Hi Lillie,
That is quite a workaround, but it works. Thank you.
But it still would be nice to have the whole numbering multi bar repeat thing implemented in Dorico somehow…

If you use Lillie’s suggestion to provide the 2-bar repeat symbols, you can use a numbered bar region to number the bars:

Got it. Thank you.
I am not too familiar with creating lines. The bar repeat symbol is a bit too far to the left. Where would I adjust that?
Thanks!

If it’s not covering enough bars, you can click the numbered bar region and extend it the following way:

Make sure that before you input your horizontal line, you’ve selected the “Barline” attachment points at the top of the panel (they’re the middle buttons).

You can then position it inside the staff (make sure to use this property, rather than just dragging in Engrave mode, as this makes it semantically correct).

It was a bit tricky to place properly, but I got it now.

Thank you very much.