O Danny Boy -- An Original Arrangement

A little something different…

This my own choral arrangement and recording of “O Danny Boy”. Currently working on a video for it. Here are some details:

It was made in Cubase 6.5 using a Sure SM27 Mic and a Steinberg MR816CSX Interface.
The arrangement was composed in Sibelius
I performed all the vocals.
I compressed the vocals on the way in via the MR816. No other compression was used other than some bus compression in the mastering phase.
The song is performed a capella.
Other plugins were minimal, only using Fabfilter’s Pro-Q and Pro-DS, (Fabfilter Pro-L, and Native Instruments Solid Bus Comp were used for mastering)
There are 24 independent vocal tracks plus a soloist (no copying, each track is a unique recording).
Syncing was accomplished with a conducting video that I made prior to recording.

A download of the 160KB mp3 is available for those who don’t want to suffer through soundcloud’s compression.

https://soundcloud.com/sld-music/o-danny-boy-original/s-M6GPr

i love danny boy , allways brings tears to my eyes especially after a dwink , very nice when it kicks in at 0.35 ,is that your true voice or is it through variaudio cause i can hear things round the voice which sound as if it as been treated a bit ,i can see youve worked on this with care , the harmonies are spot on very nice. im a sucker for these old classics.

Thanks for listening, firestamper! It’s my voice. I’m a classically trained singer. I do use Variaudio on occasion, but I use it as little as possible (mostly for iffy onsets, or if I need to pitch down low notes that I can’t hit–like the low F at the end of the song). I don’t think that particular solo was treated at all, though.

You can check out some of my other soundcloud stuff for reference.

Wow you are a talented singer! Great harmonies and arrangement! Brings a nostalgic feeling. Michael

Beautiful work, you are right the download version sounds much better than Soundcloud, but either way its really excellent!

Wow, thats a great arrangement/recording !! You are clearly classically trained and that makes me regret never learning to sing lead.

i also started watching your Control Room videos on You Tube.

You are a clever and talented guy.

Yeah, great vocal technique and very nice arrangement. Well done.

Thank you all for listening and the comments. Very kind.

For anyone interested I also did a 30-ish minute podcast detailing some of the particulars about how the song was recorded, and the evolution of my production process for work like this using past examples.

http://soundcloud.com/sld-music/sld-music-podcast-2-making-o

Thanks again, all. Much appreciated.

i will defo check it out at some point. You have some really great ideas !!

Without meaning to jump topics here, will your Control Room video work with Cuase Artist 6 ?? i can’t work out if mine has these facilities or not (or perhaps they are named differently or in a differnt place) ?? Its a facility which i would like to be able to have onboard.

Monsterjazzlicks,

Thanks again for the nice compliments. :slight_smile:

Cubase Artist does not include the control room feature. Only the full version has it, so I’m afraid you’re out of luck unless you upgrade.

Wow…just fantastic…what a great voice you have and a beautiful arrangement…Kevin

Thanks for letting me know, i appreciate that. i may upgrade later this year then. Cheers.

This is just tremendous. Thanks for this post.

Thanks very much iluvstrats!

Listening on crappy speakers (laptop) … but this is just brilliant ! Really impressed with everything. And what a great voice you have … ! Three thumbs up !

(will listen again later on better speakers)

A beautiful vocal arrangement and delivery. Well done! :sunglasses: