Occasionaly using Cubase 7.5 but could downsize...advice please

Multi-tracking audio no longer required, recording mostly piano (midi) but would like to still have access to the midi editing facilities of 7.5.

Would this be Cubase Elements or another product? If so, I’m guessing there’s no point in looking for an upgrade route from a relatively early version of a more comprehensive product to a current version of something more basic.

I’m not sure if it would be what you are looking for, but you may want to have a look at REAPER. You can simply download it and evaluate it for 30 days for free to see if it is useful to you.

Another possible product might be Ableton Live Intro.

They did not add main MIDI features after 7.5.40. A few minor ones (plug in USB MIDI devices while Cubase is running without the need for a restart, MIDI editors dockable in the lower zone of the main window, slightly better handling of controllers and manual creation of MIDI notes, drum notes can have a length now, high DPI support). If you don’t need these, Cubase 7.5.40 will continue to run beautifully on a modern PC with Windows 10. Regarding MIDI, even 7.5 beats any other current software product.

…thanks for replying…in my haste, I didn’t mention that I wanted to set something up on a macbook air M1 I’ve just acquired.

I’m assuming (incorrectly?) that I can’t use my windows licence to download a v 7.5 for the mac? And would v7.5 even work on apple silicon?

Thanks for any further thoughts…

LOL
sorry, in my haste I forgot to stop laughing