Odd Tempo Equation

I have an engraving job where the original score (which was made in a version of Finale from the 90’s) includes tempo equations that use multiple note values (like in the screenshots). It’s not the way that I’d chose to create the marks, but the composer is insistent.

I’ve been unable enter them with the tempo popover, and can’t seem to get it to work as a system text either. Does Dorico not support this? I’ve tried the system text with the Bravura font, Ekmelos, and Maestro with both standard and unicode entry…am I missing something?

This is easy enough to do in Finale, but the score includes some cross-measure beaming and quarter tones that I’d much rather deal with in Dorico.

Screenshot 2024-05-21 at 10.46.26 AM

Is that an exact reproduction, as in the half and eighth notes in the front half of the equation are not tied and are spaced very closely? If so, is this the exact look you wish to keep?

Here’s a version (as I like to see it formatted, admittedly) that I made quickly as system text using @dan_kreider 's MusGlyphs font:

Screenshot 2024-05-21 at 11.03.22 AM

Would that work for what you need? (You would not, of course, have to include the arrows, though I do think the tie — or perhaps a plus sign — makes it much clearer.)

And if exact replication of the previous score is not necessary, why not tie (as it were) the equation to the target note value (♪) in the meter:

Screenshot 2024-05-21 at 11.15.57 AM

5 Likes

Good work around. I’ll try that if it’s fine by the composer. I personally prefer the tied notation in my own work, but I’m somewhat at the mercies of someone else’s preferences in this case.