OK to open 8.5 projects in 9?

Just wondering how this is working out for everyone. Or do you think it’s just a bad idea that should not be tried?

Thanks

Works fine for me.

Yeah, cubase 8.5 works fine here on Cubase 9.0.1 even though i’m experiencing some lag/bad performance issues with Cubase 9 (and the same project works fine on cubase 8.5)

I’ve never had an issue with opening a Project in a newer version of Cubase than the one it was created with (except things like discontinued plugs being missing). It also works the other way fine - opening 9 Projects in 8.5, 8, etc (again stuff associated with new features won’t be there).

But if you are concerned, open the project in 8.5 do a Save As and give it a name like “Project ABC 8-5” then you’ll have that version just in case. Then you can open “Project ABC” in C9 with peace of mind.

Works fine here, like always I have to say.
But I have project root folders called Cubase7, Cubase8 and Cubase9
When I want to work on an older project made with Cubase 7 I open it in Cubase 9 and do a backup from inside Cubase and move it to the Cubase9 folder.
That way I’m I always working on a copy.

Thanks everyone for the responses. They were just what I was looking for.

Just opened a couple of Cubase SX projects in Cubase 9 - other than a few 32bit plug ins being unavailable and the (Cubase 8?) filter steepness changes everything works fine!

Here is a chart that shows what versions of Cubase can open Projects created with a different version. Their backwards compatibility is far superior to lots of software out there (MS Word I’m looking at you).
https://www.steinberg.net/en/support/knowledgebase_new/show_details/kb_show/compatibility-and-interchangeability-of-project-files/kb_back/2020.html

My projects created with Cubase 8.5 Pro using 32 bit Powercore plugs using the native bridging, load properly in Cubase 9 Pro with the JBridged versions. That’s a bonus that I wasn’t expecting:)

No problems for me, I tested several projects 8+ years or older.

I tried a C9 project in 8.5 & to my surprise it opened w/o any compatibility warning messages. I worked with it for a while just to see if it would crash or cause problems but it ran fine.

I don’t plan on keeping the project, not sure what might happen down the line.

I once took an 8.0 project that used some 8 only features and opened it in 7.5. Of course in 7.5 it didn’t show the 8 only features. Then I saved that as a 7.5 project. When I opened that 7.5 project in 8.0 I was pleasantly surprised to see that it still retained the initial 8 only features.

works fine for me

work fine for me, after sorting and Jbridge some plugins that wont load in C9

I am importing 7.5 projects, works fine. Steinberg surely deservs some credit for this! :slight_smile:

It works fine here but I have experienced some lag the other way round (9 → 8.5) :slight_smile: