On focus of Plug-in window, select its track?

I know, but spring is coming, so I feel somewhat immortal in this intoxicating endless cycle of life and death. :sweat_smile: After all, why? Why shouldn’t I dabble in scripting? [Insert Bilbo meme here]

Of course, we have Focus Quick Controls for this job I’m describing. But Quick Controls are just 8. So, let me explain a bit further in the vein of:

What I would like to achieve.

Have a page “Plug-in Control.” In this page, 16 encoders would control 16 parameters, and the 16 pushes would control another 16 parameters (switches), and my 9 faders another 9 parameters, for the plug-in currently in focus.

For this to happen, I need two things in advance.

1. Have the proper track selected.
  2. Be in the right Inserts Viewer Bank.

Both are fairly easy to achieve manually, but I think it would be very convenient if they could be automated. I mean, the plug-in window has both clues in the header: Track name - Insert slot. (as MChantzi says)

Now, I know this not an exclusive responsibility of the MIDI Remote, but why not explore if some “core” Cubase function could ease the work expected of the MIDI remote.

For example, I love the preference: “Project & MixConsole - Select Channel/Track on Edit Settings” I have this ticked permanently. Instead of select track buttons, I have Edit Channel Settings buttons, because when I’m “selecting” a channel, I usually want to do something TO IT. So I need to see the Channel Settings window. And this little preference works like a charm for me!

Similarly, if there was a “Auto-Select Channel/Track, Auto-Follow Insert Viewer Bank on Plug-in Focus”, I would run with this preference “on” all the time, because that’s how I’m used to working. Have something on screen, tweak, dismiss. Go to another thing, do the same.

I need to be able to control a plug-in in both situations:

1. Manually.
  • Select a track (button on controller)
  • Click on an encoder from 1-16 to open the proper plug-in in its slot (a case of encoder 1 calling selected Channel - Inserts Viewer - Reset Bank - Plug-in edit. [Not accurate, off the top of my head])
  • Control away.
  1. Automatically.
  • After having tweaked a plug-in, click somewhere else to do something else, on another track, anything.
  • Upon clicking on the plug-in window of the old track, re-assume control of THAT plug-in automatically. Have the track selected, have the insert viewer bank be the proper one automatically.

It’s sort of “what you see (in focus) is what you control”.

3 Likes