On Mac, Dorico 4 does not launch but hangs indefinitely waiting for the audio engine

Unless you set your Playback Template to Silence (which would likely be moot in this case) Dorico saves sound data with your notation, which would account for the large file size.

1 Like

Interesting. What’s strange is that I have multiple files with different playback templates, all of which are exactly the same file size.

However I just applied Silence and resaved, and it’s gone back to a much smaller size.

Glad for the smaller size, but will that hinder Ulf from finding your problem? If Ulf needs the sounds included, then putting your file in a dropbox-type cloud vault and e-mailing him the link might be the best way to go.

Thanks for the data, @Alex_Eddington .

Yes, the massive file size is due to the plug-in-states that get saved in the audio engine chunk, and here in this case the biggest part is that of Kontakt. The project with the silence template however is reasonably sized because it only contains the most basic data and - most importantly - has no data from Kontakt anymore at all.
So I wonder, do you really still have problems with hanging with that project file?
Before you said you used the silence template and it was still hanging and looking at the dump file it was hanging in Kontakt, which can’t be if you really applied the silence template.
So please try again with that project with silence template. I can not believe that it would cause hanging again. But if it did, please take another sample of the process. Thanks

Hi @Ulf -

To clarify: with the Silence template applied, this Dorico file does not hang. The problem is that it now won’t let me add in VSTs without hanging. I need to find a way to start fresh but without losing my layout or composing work.

Okay, I’ll remove the engine data by hand and send you. Let’s see what that does to you…

1 Like

Thanks @Ulf - so far so good, it’s working now. I’ll post again if there are further VST problems. Thank you for all your help, I hope this also gives good data for Dorico development…

1 Like

Hi @Ulf -

UPDATE it is working now - I don’t know why!

Sadly this Dorico file is back to its problems with VSTs. Currently can’t even open the most recent one. When I go back to an earlier file like the one where you stripped all VST data, I couldn’t add anything now (I was able to before).

I’ve attached two process samples… Dorico and VST Engine

At this point I’m trying to move my work over to another computer… but it’s a Macbook Air and not handling things very well.

Archive 2.zip (52.3 KB)

Hi @Alex_Eddington , sorry to hear about that, but when I look at the samples, then it is exactly the same thing like before, namely the audio engine is stuck in Kontakt. Please send me the project and I’ll do my magic again. But then it is better if you stay clear from Kontakt for a while…
Please also get in touch with Native Instrument and report that problem to them. Send them the audio engine sample and ideally the broken project (maybe make a strip down version with just a few bars.) I know they have Dorico and will be able to load it and hopefully find the cause for the hanging.

1 Like

Hello. I am having a similar problem to that you are describing. Over the last 3 months I have had problems on and off where Dorico either crashes and have to be restarted, doesn’t open (hangs indefinitivly) or both, meaning that once it crashes I can’t open it again. I have to restart the machin in order to get it working again. It hangs in different stages of startup, but the two most common are ‘Initiliazing SKI Plugin controller’ and ‘Attached to Audio Engine’.

For three months I have kept restarting and once did a re-install, but it does not seem to work, and I am slowly losing faith. I am also not super tech-savy, so I don’t understand what’s going on. Please advice.

Hi @Ole_Magnus_Ekeberg, if Dorico is hanging, please provide us with process samples (as described in earlier posts here) of both, Dorico and the audio engine. Additionally a diagnostics report would be helpful then, because it keeps logs of the last 10 runs. Provided those data we can give further advice. Thanks

Mine hangs as well, despite the removal of Groove Agent SE and WaveLabExchange.

/* File removed since this case is transferred to a private conversation with Ulf. */

Follow-up: This might be an issue related to macOS 13 Ventura beta 9.
I was successfully using Dorico 4 and Cubase 12 while running macOS 13 Ventura beta 5-7.
I tried reinstalling both Dorico 4 and Cubase 12, but Dorico still hangs at startup with no crash reports generated.

Is the VSTAudioEngine still around then? If so, could you please take a sample of the process in Activity Monitor?

And are there maybe vstscanner processes around?

There’s no vstscanner when deadhanging. It hangs at either audio engine or the SKI Plugin Controller initialization (done).

VSTAudioEngine is there:

Only Dorico hangs:

Should I use Xcode instrument to sample the entire duration since Dorico’s boot till its hang?

Also, recent 10 app logs (as D.Sp suggested here):

/* File removed since this case is transferred to a private conversation with Ulf. */

Hi @ShikiSuen , thanks for all the data you’ve sent. It looks like the audio engine can’t connect to the license engine and therefore can not verify for a valid license and hence ignores any attempt from Dorico connecting to it.
So it looks like we have a Ventura compatibility issue here. Funny enough, Dorico and Cubase seem to be fine, but not the audio engine. We need to further investigate on this. Many thanks for reporting.

1 Like

Actually, ShikiSuen’s case is solved, please see this thread

1 Like

Is there a timeline for fixing these issues? I just purchased Dorico Elements 4 and it doesn’t work on my MacBook Pro M1 with macOS Ventura. If I start Dorico it will get hung up on initializing the audio engine. If I attempt to start VSTAudioEngine5 manually, the Activation Manager pops ups with “No License Found” for VSTAudioEngine5.
FYI, I’ve tried the suggested fixes, including turning Dorico/VST Audio Engine full disk access ON / OFF without any success.

Edit 2: FYI, if I remove HALion Sonic SE.vst3 from /Library/Application Support/Steinberg/Components, Dorico starts fine but I guess I have no way to play back. I also don’t see any instance of VSTAudioEngine in Activity Monitor in that case.