On Mac, Dorico 4 does not launch but hangs indefinitely waiting for the audio engine

Hi @andrea-calligaris , I had a first look now, but I don’t get a full picture , yet.
The dump files I see, were they taken automatically or did you create them via Process Explorer.
Also, there are dumps from Dorico and from the audio engine. So I am a little bit puzzled and don’t know what to look at next.
So please clarify a bit. Thanks a lot

Via Process Explorer after Dorico crashed, after starting it (splash screen crashes). Some are Dorico.exe, some are the AudioEngine.

The issue is that when you close and re-open Dorico in Windows 10, it frequently crashes on the splash screen, and it’s generally due to (I think) the AudioEngine. After the last dumps I’ve sent months ago the situation is improved, but not 100%.

There’s also one single instance where it failed to load Pianoteq with a score already open and working, that’s a separate issue, I just included that too.

Hi @andrea-calligaris , now I had a close look at all the dump files.
And actually that what you call crashes are in fact are not crashes. Dorico is still running, it is just waiting for something, but unfortunately I can’t tell what exactly it is waiting for. In case of Dorico hanging, it is most likely waiting for an answer from the audio engine process. And in the audio engine case the main thread is blocked by endlessly waiting for some other task(s) to get finished.

The next time Dorico is hanging, please go again to Process Explorer and create dump files from both, the Dorico and the VSTAudioEngine process. And even more, take two dumps shortly after another, so that I get in total 4 dumps for a single incident.
I will also ask Daniel to take you into our beta program. It will be very interesting to see, if you still have the same issue with the next version as well.

Yes, it’s more correct to say that the software hangs, sure.

Yes, similar to what was going on months ago, see On Mac, Dorico 4 does not launch but hangs indefinitely waiting for the audio engine - #111 by Ulf

I’m pretty sure that’s exactly what I’ve done already. Maybe I didn’t name the dump files perfectly, but I did exactly what you required. If there are timestamps (I suppose there are) you should see that some dumps come very close in seconds.

I think @Ulf is requesting fresh dump files to see if anything has changed since the last ones you sent.

@andrea-calligaris, but I need dumps from both, Dorico and the engine and also from around the same time same time. Trust me, it’s really hard to debug your issue, so I am asking to follow my instructions closely even though it might be tiring and not fun.
It would be even better if we could have a remote screen sharing session immediately when it happens again. You can send me a private message, maybe it just matches that I am also ariund in my office right at that time. Thank you for your understanding.

Hi @andrea-calligaris ,
I asked Daniel to take you into the Dorico beta program, but now that Dorico 5 is officially out, there is no need any more for this. Instead Daniel assigned to your Steinberg ID a 60 days Dorico 5 trial license. Please use that to try and see if you still get those long hanging times in Dorico 5.

Thank you very much for your effort,
Ulf

I get long launch times on Dorico 4.3.30.1132, with messages about wait for audio engine and silk service. Sometimes multiple minutes. Sometimes forever.
Attached requested files.
Please help?
thanks.
DiagnosticReports.zip (22.4 KB)
Dorico 4 AudioEngine.zip (2.8 MB)
Activation Manager.zip (128.7 KB)
Dorico 4.zip (3.0 MB)

Hi @misnoma , there are 3 crash files of the audio engine and they all show the same pattern, namely a crash inside of NotePerformer, so please take those files and approach Wallander Instrument’s support with it.

Furthermore, you have lots and lots of plug-ins. Just scanning those already takes over a minute.

Thanks. I re-installed NotePerformer and it seems to help.
I have all those plugins for use in Cubase. Some installers eg. Waves make it laborious to remove those I don’t use. It’s also a drag moving files in and out of folders for different apps.
Feature request:

1. Is there any way to launch Dorico with option to ignore all VST plugins?
  2. ignoring all non-instrument plugins would be a useful distinction
  3. messages during launch to show progress of scanning plugins?. not just “waiting for audio engine”,“ping from silk service”
  4. faster plugin scanning?

Plugin handling is an area where I would hope Dorico benefits from Cubase technology/integration but seemingly does not?
thanks.

EDIT: reinstalling NotePerformer has made NotePerformer work on the occasions I can get Dorico to launch, but sometimes it never successfully launches.
The suggestion that I go to Wallander support seems like a fool’s errand. I had similar issues with iZotope plugins in Cubase and, after supplying all the information and files, the developer just blames Steinberg. And I tend to agree: the host should be more robust and not fail entirely because of one malfunctioning plugin?

EDIT2: i have not yet invested in Dorico5 because the price vs. features is not compelling for me. Does Dorico5 perhaps offer any improved compatibility/performance with NotePerformer? I remember Daniel said once that the integration with NotePerformers routing/mixer was getting worked on. Did that happen? thanks!

1 Like

There’s no specific difference in how Dorico 5 handles NotePerformer versus Dorico 4.

Good to know, thanks Daniel.!

For future searchers …
(1) it seems that removing the NotePerformer 4.1 VST2 plugin from "/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST " has enabled my Mac Dorico4 install to launch. Dorico will use the VST3 plugin for NotePerformer.
(2) Dorico can take multiple minutes during launch on “wait for … audio sync” and “ping … silk service” but it may still launch. I understand it is scanning plugins behind the scenes with no progress report or error notifications. Be patient. However, don’t be patient forever. Sometimes it will hang indefinitely (eg. leave it overnight and no progress). Then you need to force quit and do the troubleshooting described above.
(3) This is especially relevant for people running Dorico on machines that also do media production, because they will have a lot of plugins. There is no good best practice for managing which apps will try to validate which plugins beyond creating different custom paths and maintaining sets of plugins manually through file moving and copying.
(4) Wallander now offers a separate $69 VST hosting solution as a workaround for “VST Crashes … in the notation program” which is disappointing after i paid the developer of the VST standard so much already for my notation program?.. NotePerformer 4: Artificial Intelligence-based Playback of Musical Notation

UPDATE: Nope, I still have issues. Dorico will launch but crashes during audio export. I will do a proper support request and report back.

UPDATE2: Turns out, in Canada, a “proper” support request is a “mail to:” link to someone called Lindsay, so I’ll post the diagnostics here too, in case Lindsay is, you know, busy or off today or something. Anyone got any ideas? (Because Dorico will now launch, I can at least use its convenient Help>Creat Diagnostic Report feature … But because this forum has a 4mb upload limit, I then have to inconveniently split and recompress as multiple zips. All in a day’s work!)
Archive 2.zip (3.0 MB)
Archive.zip (1.6 MB)

Sorry for letting this drop for several weeks. Did you get this resolved to your satisfaction?

Hello,
I am having this same problem with a Mac hanging on the audio engine and not loading. I found this thread and began following the steps, but I do not have a Components folder to view. I tried looking at the contents folder, but when I do /Steinberg/Components/ it does not pull anything up, so I cannot look for the Eucon bundle. Is it possible that what would have been the components folder is named something else now? Additionally, I tried uninstalling and reinstalling and that did not work either. I am running on macOS Sonoma 14.2.1 if that helps.

Hi @mckenzieecampo , I’ve sent you a private message via this board, please check.