On MIDI CC pane, drawing two diagonals in succession results in the latter as a straight line

Hello,

When drawing diagonals in succession,
Dorico draws the last diagonal as a straight line as follows:

How can I get the following lines in Dorico?

This type of lines can produce a glitch or unwanted tick at the apices when using it in audio rate (=samplerate). However, I think MIDI CC does not work in audio rate.

I believe you cannot currently create directly abutting lines, i.e. the end point of one line cannot also be the start point of the next. Set the grid resolution to the smallest value and allow a tiny gap between the end of one line and the start of the next. Unless the tempo is very slow you shou;d find that this is inaudible.

Hi Daniel, as you know I already reported this issue. We agreed that it is not a major issue, and we can live with it.

However, please let me add, after using it for a while, that this may be an annoyance when doing a lot of editing in the automation lane. Maybe due to the habit taken from the DAWs, it seems always natural to create joined slanted lines for the most important task they are accomplishing: giving life and expression to long notes (with the typical cresc./dim. fork).

Not urgent, but something that I hope will be considered.

Paolo

Thank you for your answers!
If the developers add new line features, please consider the spline curve with the slope control. It is convenient!
I am sure that it will make Dorico more powerful!

I don’t get it. Then how did Darren Jones draw the line shown in the Automation Lane on p. 94 of his book, “Getting Started with Dorico 3.5”? He clearly shows three consecutive diagonal lines, the first gradually going down in a straight line, the second going back up to the right diagonally in a straight line, and finally, the last going back up to the right diagonally in a straight line. I don’t see any gaps as you are suggesting. When is this going to be fixed?

This is something I discover later, and forgot to report here in the forum. This is how do it:

1. Draw the two diagonal lines, leaving the smallest gap between them.
  2. Move the start of the second diagonal line, so that it touches the end of the first diagonal line.

The gap is now removed, without Dorico flattening the CC line.

Paolo

1 Like

That’s the trick so ! Thank you ! But this CCs drawing rationale & behavior is quite strange compared to Cubase 11 of LogicPro : are changes to be expected @dspreadbury ?

Yes, certainly we are planning a general revamp of the editors in Play mode in a future version, though I can’t say for sure exactly when it will come.

1 Like