One-button shortcut for tuplets?

Jeff, you could use a third-party macro program to record the key sequence and then map that to a shortcut otherwise unused in Dorico.

If you don’t want to use a macro program: Paul explained how to do this in the first thread you linked.

Be sure not to break the json syntax when you edit that file. :wink:

Daniel, Yamaha/Steinberg could allow you all to add this functionality (or something like it) natively to this program in a future update - lol!

In all seriousness, I’ll think on the third-party macro for sure. Thanks for the idea. :slight_smile:

You can also copy-paste the tuplets and replace the pitches using lock mode (l) when the caret is active. It is very efficient.

I use Keyboard Maestro (a macro application for Mac—don’t know if there’s a PC version) widely in every application I use daily, including Dorico. For triplets, I set up F18 to start a triplet and F19 to end it (they’re easy to reach from the numeric keypad.)

And if you do enough “tripletizing" to make it worthwhile, you cd set up a pair of keystrokes for each of several triplet values. You can even use a particular keystroke to trigger the pop up, type whatever you program, and close it with Enter or Return.

Works really well.

This comes down to a double-click, which is acceptably fast. Thanks for that hint (I always used to turn of the tuplets after inputting them, which is a lot slower)!

Anyway, is there a possibility to assign a keyboard shortcut to this button? This would save the time to get to the mouse/touchpad and find the button and therefore make it faster once more.

Yes. Find your keycommands_en.json file. Depending on your language the two letters before .json might be different. The file is somewhere in your AppData or Application support folder. Add these lines within the kStepTimeInput section. Replace X with your desired shortcut. Don’t omit the apostrophes and be careful not to break the json syntax!

{
"NoteInput.StartTupletRun?Definition=3:2" : [ "X" ]
},

The double click method doesn’t work with a shortcut, but you always have the end tuplet shortcut for that. (Instead you can easily create a triplet within a triplet within a triplet within a triplet… :slight_smile:)
Hope it helps!

Florian, that file doesn’t appear to exist on my Mac. Are you a PC guy?

Yep, I’m on Windows.

A quick Google search gave me this path to the Mac equivalent of the Windows AppData folder:

~/Library/Application Support

This folder is probably hidden.
Paul mentioned that folder too so I’d be very surprised if you didn’t find your keycommands file there.

I’m sorry I can’t be more specific. I think I’ve never even touched a Mac in my life…

@fkretlow: Thank you for your suggestion! I think I should take the time to get into json, too at some time…

I found the file; on a mac, it’s NOT in the library but the app itself: Just locate the Dorico application in your applications folder. There, ctrl-click on it and select “show package contents”. From there, just navigate to Contents/Ressources and you’ll find the keycommands-files. You should use the one of your language, of course, but the code to add remains the same as far as I understood it.

You shouldn’t edit the one in the application - that will be replaced whenever Dorico is updated. If you run Dorico and in the Key commands editor in Preferences just modify any key command then this will write the key commands file into your application support folder, and then you can follow the instructions above.

I can’t get this to work, would you be willing to post a screen shot of your keycommands file?

Thank you

Do you mean you can’t find the json file, or you don’t know where to put the command, or you put it in and the command isn’t working?

I put the command in and it doesn’t work. I must be doing something wrong…

Did you run it through a json linter? After modifying the file, do your other key commands still work?

Did you make sure that you entered it in the correct place, so it will apply to note input?

I created a key command in preferences to create the the json file. There was only the one key command in the file and so I replaced the command with the tuplet one, but it didn’t work (see attached image). I also tried adding a new line with the tuplet command, but still no luck. I don’t know what a linter is.

Thanks

Copy and paste the whole thing into jsonlint.com then click the Validate JSON button. If there’s something wrong it’ll give you clues.

The file looks fine to me, as far as the syntax is concerned.

Does it work if you replace the context kWriteMode by kStepTimeInput?

I use Keyboard Maestro to enter my most often used tuplets with a simple keystroke: opt-3 to set up a triplet, opt-4 for quadruplets, etc.

That was the problem! Thank you very much.