One-button shortcut for tuplets?

I use Keyboard Maestro to enter my most often used tuplets with a simple keystroke: opt-3 to set up a triplet, opt-4 for quadruplets, etc.

That was the problem! Thank you very much.

Actually, it may have been a simple question of restarting Dorico.

Now, for the next step. How do I end the tuplet?
I tried:
“NoteInput.EndTupletRun?Definition=3:2” : [ “Shift+E” ]
but it doesn’t work.
Thank you

Do you need a new key command to end a tuplet? Pressing : does that already. You can create a new key command in Edit / Preferences if you want.

I expect your attempt didn’t work because it doesn’t make a lot of sense to have a command that only ends triplets, but not other tuplets.

It’s shift + “whatever key to start tuplet” that stops tuplets, Rob :wink:
I agree though that it’s not very interesting to create a specific “end triplet” command. The tuplet is not sticky if you escape note input mode or use right arrow to move forward.

When I use the start tuplet after I activated it, it creates another tuplet and doesn’t end it, like clicking the tuplet sign would

Oops, didn’t realize that.

Thank you

Ah … I just learned that US/UK QUERTY keyboards have these characters in different places from French AZERTY.

On a UK keyboard : is shift+;

Yes, if you didn’t restart Dorico before, that was likely the cause. I was wondering myself. My (very uneducated) guess is that step time input is sort of a “subcontext” of Write Mode. Unless a Write Mode shortcut is overwritten in step time input, it should work there too, provided the triggered action is available. Daniel, could you shed some light on this?

The step-time context is inserted on top of the Write mode context, yes, when the caret is visible, and any combination that is defined in the Write mode context will be superseded by the step-time context if it’s set there.

Thank you, Daniel.

Is this still a valid method to add a ‘triplet’ key command in Dorico 3.5?
I have tried adding the above string into the .json file but when I open Dorico, it freezes or start behaving strangely… Possibly this solution is no longer valid.

Many thanks in advance and best regards,
Max

Yes, it still works, but you need to be sure you add the entry to the JSON file correctly. Probably you have inadvertently introduced a syntax error in the JSON file. Try pasting the content of the file into the site at jsonlint.com, which will tell you where the error is.

Dear Daniel,

Many thanks for your kind reply and feedback… I did try several things but Dorico doesn’t like it when I add that particular string line that was suggested… I am wondering if there is something wrong in the syntax there in the first place.

I will post a screen shot of what I have as soon as I am at the studio.

Best regards,
Max

Probably simplest if you zip up your keycommands_en.json file and attach it here, and I’ll surely be able to figure out what’s up.

It definitely still works for me. You are making the edit in the User keycommands file, not the one that resides in Program Files/Steinberg/Dorico3.5 (on PC) right? Also, as X is already assigned, you may need to remove that command through Preferences/Keycommands or add a DELETE entry to remove it. Here’s an example of that syntax:
delete

I made a video explaining how to switch On and Off the tuplets button with a shortcut using Keyboard Mastro.
It’s work only on Mac

1 Like

Very nice. Clever use of the tuplet image. I’ve used KM to create macros for all tuplets between duplets and sextuplets, using Opt + the number of the tuplet. This is handy when entering notes. My macros simply call up the popover and type in the ratio followed by Return.