One License, two Computers?!? - like Sib... eeehm... the other Program ;-)

Everybody at Steinberg is very well aware of how users generally feel about our present licensing system, so a few more voices joining the chorus won’t make a great deal of difference. Conserve your energies for more productive things.

Work is underway on a new licensing system, but it is a project that touches not only product engineering but more or less every business process related to manufacturing, stock-keeping, selling, and supporting our products. The company is committed to the project and I am confident that it will be successful, but it will take time.

In the meantime, if you need to move Dorico from one computer to another without using the USB-eLicenser you can do so via the ‘Reactivation’ process in MySteinberg. What this does is tell MySteinberg which Soft-eLicenser is the blessed one that currently contains your Dorico license. Normally somebody would use this process when they have bought a new computer or have had to replace their hard disk or reinstall their operating system. But because there is no ongoing connection between the license on your Soft-eLicenser and MySteinberg, it doesn’t actually know whether your previous Soft-eLicenser is actually no longer in use. So for the limited case that you have Dorico installed on one computer and then reactivate it on a second, it will continue working on the first computer, but you would not be able to reactivate that first machine again, or install an update on that computer, because MySteinberg no longer considers the Soft-eLicenser on your first computer active. And, I should point out, the Steinberg EULA permits you to install and use Soft-eLicenser-based products on a single computer.

My expectation is that when the improved licensing system arrives, all of this will be a thing of the past. My hope is that it will be as simple as you signing in on your computer with your MySteinberg credentials, and the software then working, with a periodic licensing check back to the central server, in a similar fashion as Office 365 and Creative Cloud, etc., but it remains to be seen exactly what form the improved software licensing system will take.