online training videos on specific Nuendo features ?

Hi,

We can easily find comprehensive training videos on Cubase on the internet (steinberg youtube channel, ask video, groove3, sonic academy, academy.fm…). But can we find comprehensive training videos on Nuendo’s specific features ?

I have the feeling that Nuendo is not yet widespread enough for online schools to record training videos on its specific features ? I also think that the steinberg youtube channel could go further into detail because many important functionalities do not seem to me approached in depth.

I love the new Nuendo and I would like to know all its features in depth, but without having to pass a sound engineering degree !

Thanks

What features are you interested in?

Hi,

I would like to learn by watching videos about various features as :

• Film-mixing style automation system,
  • VST MultiPanner,
  • Loudness management with the loudness meter,
  • Advanced comping and lane editing,
  • Integrated re-conforming solution for TV and film post-production,
  • Sound Randomizer,
  • Game Audio Connect (I have found some videos),
  • ADR and foley features…

All these areas interest me, and beyond the music, I would like to also offer this kind of service to meet additional needs.

Thanks

My apologies for sounding harsh, it’s not my intention to offend you.
But you don’t need a training video for Nuendo features, you need an Audio-Post training video.
There is no point in learning what the handles and knobs do in an airplane if you don’t know how to fly …

Fredo

Of course Fredo and I thank you for raising the doubt. Indeed I have not much professional experience in the audio area (because I preferred to choose a safer job first, this is now over) but I have nevertheless a good background (engineering degree 20 years ago) and I am currently following courses at Thinkspace Ed. and other training academies to improve my orchestration, mixing, and mastering skills.

Perhaps I expressed myself poorly so if you know some good materials about film audio-post I will be very grateful.

The only “right way” to learn the art of audio post is by working in a Audio Post facility and being teached by an old school guy with decades of experience.

That being said, you can go a very long way by self-study.
The one book of which I learned the most was “Practical Art of Motion Picture Sound” by David Lewis Yewdall.
After that, you’ll need to dig into more specific stuff like “Dialogue Editing for Motion Pictures” by John Purcell.
And then …
and then …

Fredo

Ok thanks for your answer, I will first check what is now possible (the books) without forgetting the right way for the future.

I agree with Fredo.

I would maybe recommend finding a short simple project, like a very short film or commercial, and then

• identify what the deliverables are
  • figure out routing
  • do the dialog/production sound edit
  • do the sfx/music edits
  • do the mix

and then review what you ended up with and what your process was for getting there. You’ll no doubt end up with specific questions once you go through with it, so then you can ask questions here if they’re specific to Nuendo, and/or here if they’re more generic.

But basically I agree with Fredo: There’s really no substitute for seeing things with your own eyes being an apprentice, or by doing (and failing) yourself and then trying to fix or get better at what you do.

Heck, I’m sure you could post here what you’ve done and how you went about it and people can probably help…

Btw:

The way I look at audio post is that major motion picture productions are the “best” audio post productions out there. They’re productions where each type of audio is as meticulously crafted as possible.

From there it’s a gradual transition to the least ‘good’ production which would probably be some video editor just doing everything in their editing software.

So in the middle you’ll find a lot of content where the budget isn’t there to do a film level job, and it isn’t really necessary either. But by learning how things are done “properly” in the biggest and best of productions you’ll more easily understand and execute what needs to be done for ‘lesser’ ones. For example; I know several people know how to cut dialog/production sound for film but adapt that for some TV - especially reality, lifestyle, sports etc. But you kind’a need to know how to do the job ‘properly’ to do the job differently but more efficiently, or faster.

Thank you for all these explanations. It fits perfectly with what I wanted to do, namely working on very small productions for years (and maybe forever), to allow me to improve step by step without going too far too fast.