open buss structure

It sounds like a very “complicated” project. But I understand that people work in different ways so it is whatever it is.

The one point I’d make is that you may have to change the way you think about the different “channel types” in Nuendo versus Pro Tools. I personally find it beneficial to never put any fx on an output because of my workflow in post-production. It is a recipe for missing things and I highly recommend not doing it. I would suggest you consider working with group tracks mostly even when using effects etc, and not worry so much about “FX tracks” and outputs. A thing that Steinberg did, I don’t know why, is to not allow for FX tracks to route to audio tracks, only to groups. But there’s really no difference in functionally between an FX track and a GROUP track, so just use group tracks instead.

So in your case I’d do this:

(1) Audio track [output to]

• (3) Group tracks AND
    • (1) “Main Mix” group track
      (3) Group tracks [output to]
  • (3) “Group X” audio tracks (one each) AND
  • (1) “SUM group” audio track AND
  • (1) “SUM group & FX” audio track AND
    • the “Main Mix” group track
      (2) Group tracks for Verb/Delay [output to]
  • (2) audio tracks (one each) AND
  • the “Group X” audio tracks AND
  • the “SUM group & FX” audio track AND
    • the “Main Mix” group track
      (1) “Main Mix” group track [output to]
  • “Main Mix” audio track
    - 1 stereo output

You’ll note that there’s nothing on the “Stereo Output” track because your effects that you might use would live on the “‘Main Mix’ group track”. Also there are no FX tracks since you want to record to tracks and they really fill no function other than allowing you to insert plugs on creating them. Instead your effects would go on the “Group tracks”. Same difference.

For monitoring purposes you’d be able to bring in all group tracks into Control Room for monitoring I would think. You could also add direct routing / sends as you wanted. The only thing with the way it’s set up now is that you’re sending multiple instances of stuff to the same output, but I assume you either want that or would choose “either this or that routing”.

I’m guessing I missed something but you’d have to tell me what that would be.

I tried to set up a session to try out your suggestions. (even leave out the fx tracks). Not “complicated” in anyway…imho a pretty normal way of working :wink:.

But I can tell you right away that I cant route my gps outputs to any audiotracks in the session nor outputs from one audiotrack to the input of another audiotrack. (only to other grp´s and stereo out) checked both “routing and direct out & sends” …Im on Nuendo 6.0.3. If you can do it ? Something wrong with my install?..

much appriciated indeed :wink:.

Peter

So I noticed a couple of things that I missed:

1: You’ll have to route your Groups that you want to sum into yet another summing Group.
2: You’ll have to set your audio tracks to input what you need instead of setting the output on the Groups.

Look at my screenshot and see if that’s not solving your problem.

yes…Thanks for your screenshot…:wink:. See now Im getting more sure that something must be wery wrong with my install as I can not do what you do?

More or less everything that you showed up to now is more or less what I wanted and indeed what I have been trying to do…But it cant be done with my version/install of Nuendo? Thats why I posted in the first place…I can see from your screenshot that it should be posible…Now we are getting somewhere I would belive :smiley:.

Ill try to uninstall my Nuendo 6 and start all over and get back to you :wink:.

Peter

There WE go!!!..It was a fault in the install of Nuendo 6 :smiley:. Why and how this happened? I have noo clue at all?

Now I can route my audio tracks inputs to grps…wow that was nice indeed.

Thanks for hunting me…very very helpfull. Very much appriciated.

This topic can now be closed/deleted or kept here to help others ? Feel free :wink:.

Again…Thanks a LOT for telling me I should be able to do it :smiley:.

The only thing now that would be lovely would not to have have to add a extra sum buss to record the 3 (or more) other busses :smiley:…But we are indeed very close :wink:. also am I correct in understanding that…we can NOT route the output of one audiotrack to the input of another audiotrack?..If Im correct in this…that would be another most wonderful thing to be able to do in the future :wink:. (If Im not correct…then I might have yet a isue with my install :slight_smile:.

Great help.

/Peter

You’re very welcome. Glad I could help.

I think you should be able to “decipher” the principle behind the way I routed it and just add groups as buses as needed.

good luck!

yes that is no problem…as it the way I wanted and tried it in the first place…but couldn´t as the install obvious had a problem…therefore my concern and post in the first place :wink:.

Am I correct in that I still cant route audiotrack output to audiotrac inputs? or do I still have a problem with my install?

I think you’d have to use a “bus” like in PT… I think.

I mix feature films with hundreds of channels, complicated routing and side chaning’ lots of groups and buses.
I see no positives in PT routing at all actually compared to Nuendo (yes I used to be a full time PT users for over ten years until I switched, and still use PT quite a bit when I have to).

In Nuendo I have to go to the routing page to setup inputs and outputs/buses. To deal with 90% of busing and routing with channels and groups I can do it in the mixer or project window. I can also name groups and have full control of the routing without opening the routing page. In PT I have to set it all up in the IO setup page including the naming of buses.

I really can’t see any limitations, yes you will have to do some things differently to what you do in PT. but they are two different program’s.

I was NOT trying to compare the 2 programs at all. Ive been a PT user for approx 15 years. I switched to Nuendo for “obvious reasons”. As we found out with great help here on the board… a great deal of my problem was because of a fault in my install and its fixed by now :slight_smile:. There is still some isues that imho would be lovely to have have in Nuendo regarding “open Buss structure” see my privious posts.

After I reinstalled my Nuendo version…90% of my problems went away :smiley:. Still wanting the last 10% but Im sure Nuendo will get there :wink:.

Kind rgards

/Peter