Opening and closing Cubase MIDI is slow

Hi all,

I record MIDI tracks using Halion 6, Groove Agent 5 SE, and UJAM bass guitar - all 64-bit. However, it takes a long time to open and close Cubase.

A point in case: When I start Cubase and open a previously worked on MIDI project- say 25-30 tracks, it takes about 15 seconds to load the song, and then there is a lag of about another 15 seconds to perform functions such as arming a track for recording or even playing back the score. I find this amount of time to be unacceptably long. It’s as though it takes Cubase forever to load the plugins and decide to start playing. After the lag period is over, everything works lightning fast, so it’s just the loading and unloading of a MIDI project. This has been the case for about 6 months - since I started using Steinberg plugins. There are no Inserts in my MIDI scores. I save that for audio mixing. When the score contains nothing but audio files (no MIDI), it loads quickly and playback is almost instantaneous.

The MIDI scores load and unload so slowly that after I render them to audio tracks, I make a copy of the project and delete the MIDI tracks from it so I can work just on the audio with decent load and unload speed. My computer contains all Samsung SSDs and 48 GB of RAM. The processor is an i7 Quad-core. Nothing is connected through a USB hub. All SSD drives are internally patched with SATA cables. My GeForce video driver is the Studio one.

Further computer details:

• Windows 10 Home is installed on a small C:\ SSD drive (175 GB). It’s almost full - about 75%.

• My Cubase program and projects reside on a D:\ SSD drive (500 GB) with 75% free space.

• My plugins are installed on an H:\ SSD drive (1 TB) with 80% free space. I bought this drive to accommodate the EastWest libraries. I have since discontinued them. All my sound needs are satisfied with UJAM and the Steinberg plugins.

Why am I getting such a lag in the opening and closing of my projects? Recently on several occasions, Cubase has completely frozen and I’ve had to use Ctrl+Alt+Esc to open the Task Manager to close the program and start again.

hi there
that’s weird…1st thing that comes to mind is to make some room in C hdd. try to clean it up
i made several production of famous artists as billie eilish or dua lipa, all within cubase with no external plugin or vst
check these out:

hope it’ll helps

cy

hi there
that’s weird…1st thing that comes to mind is to make some room in C hdd. try to clean it up
i made several production of famous artists as billie eilish or dua lipa, all within cubase with no external plugin or vst
check these out:

hope it’ll helps

cy

Thanks, Delphin2424. I’ll check out the videos.

I think most of the files on my C drive are needed. I’ve really looked at them to see if some could be deleted or moved. There’s very little, if any, bloatware.

I think computers are getting to the point where the bare minimum requirement is going to be 500 GB just for the OS and Program Files. As for HDDs, forget it. They’re obsolete except for cheap storage for backups.

Thanks again :slight_smile:.