Opening audio clips in an external WAV editor?

Hi All:

I love the fact that Cubase has an excellent audio editor built right in. For most tasks, this is just perfect for me.

However, recently I added Izotope RX2 to my toolkit. And while RX2 includes several plugins that are useful within Cubase, I’m wondering if there’s also a way to open an audio file in the full RX2 application, edit, save, and pop back into Cubase with the updated file.

I used to be able to do this with my old DAW… just click on the clip and choose something like “Open in X” and it would work seamlessly, launching the audio editor with the WAV loaded and updating the clip when I saved and returned.

I’m sure I could hunt through the audio file directory and do this manually but that sounds like a bad idea.

I’m not looking to replace the internal audio editor for most tasks… but for certain things, RX2 offers a unique set of capabilities and I’d like to work in the full editor if I could avoid having to always use the plugins.

I cruised through the preferences looking for a way to set a path to an external audio editor but was unable to find one. I also cruised through the manual searching for such an option and didn’t see it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bumping…

did I not get a response because…

A. There is no way to open an audio clip in an external editor from within Cubase 6
B. It’s so blindingly obvious that I’m just too stupid to deserve a response

:confused:

I’m pretty sure the answer is no, you can’t open an audio event in an external editor from within Cubase directly. There are a bunch of reasons why they removed the capability (thinking it happened in SX, but it’s been a long time).

Thanks for responding. It’s kind of a bummer as RX2 is such a great tool and using it as a VST isn’t optimal.

At one time I thought they were talking about re-integrating Wavelab. But, that didn’t seem to happen. But, the main point was that the audio events aren’t necessarily contiguous representations of the physical file you would be opening in an external editor. It creates headaches for “undo” functionality, file locking etc…

In other words it would be hard :stuck_out_tongue:

Cubase could ceeate a (cropped) copy of the Audio Events wav portion, replace the event with this copy and opens an external wav editor. Easily undoable…

It IS possible, like it is necessary for wav drag’n drop…

Why do you think this is a bad idea? It’s exactly how I’d do it. The major drawback would be you couldn’t have the file open in Cubase when trying to use the other editor.

I didn’t say it couldn’t be done, just that ages ago when they took it out those were the types of justifications that were thrown around.

Thanks for a little bit of the history, good to read.

I see a lot of confusion about this external Editor nonsense. Yes you can use a external editor. I use RX7 all the time in Cubase for years. What you need to do is to use it in off line mode. So press F7 on a PC and set it up as a process. This opens my editor of choice, RX and is a non destructive way to edit with a external editor. So the original file is never destroyed. That’s all. It’s very simple and has been functional for years.

How do you set it up?
I can use the separate plugins from my RX9 but when I go to add process there is no option to add RX9 suite.
I thought maybe I can add it as the extension under the Audio option but it’s not there.

It’s kind of odd because you can add the whole Ozone 9 suite as a plugin.

I’m not infront of my PC currently, but if you google “Cubase Direct Offline Processing” you will be presented with many YouTube videos walking you through the process. That’s how I worked it out. I set this up years ago and don’t recall step by step instructions now. Everytime I have upgraded Cubase the settings remain so it’s been a long time. It’s something you set up once unless you doing a clean install. Make sure you release your audio drivers in the background or assign a different audio driver inside RX then cubase uses, because you will not be able to get two applications to use the same audio drivers simultaneously. At least not on PC, I’m not sure about Macs.

1 Like

No.

And even on Cubase 11, WaveLab is the only supported External Audio Editor - barring ARA2 (SpectraLayers, Melodyne).

Get WaveLab Elements while on sale for this purpose, and Upgrade Cubase if you want. V6 is… really old… but I guess sometimes it isn’t worth fixing what isn’t broken.

Just not sure of v6 will support the latter versions of WaveLab. I do know a v11/12 Cubase license will allow you to still run v6, though.

Yes. If I could upload a video here I’d show you that it indeed works via the offline process. Again I use it almost daily inside cubase. Also there are other ARA2 editors supported like Rip X Deep Audio that work the same way not just Spectral Layers or Melodine.