Opening Cubase 7.5 projects causes Cubase Pro 8 to crash

Hi there,

I have a serious problem with a project from Cubase 7.5. If I load it in Cubase Pro 8, Cubase crashes during loading the MixConsole tracks.

The first time C8 crashes I noticed that a track with Reaktor 5 caused the problem. So, I fired up C7.5, rendered this specific track and afterwards I was able to open the project in C8. Unfortunately the next time I tried to open the same project in C8 it crashes again, this time at another Reaktor 5 track.

How can this happen? It is very difficult to analyse problems in projects from older Cubase versions if Cubase crashes during loading the project.

What is the best practice now to proceed? An hour before I was able to load my old project in 7.5, now it doesn’t load any more.

@Steinberg: Could you please consider to enhance Cubase 8 in a way that it will not crash during loading a project but displaying problems with tracks/plug-ins afterwards?

Thanks for any advice in advance!

Best regards,
distinct

Try temporarily removing the Reaktor VST file from plugin directory. If C8 opens, then it’s an issue with that VSTi.

If it still crashes, take a look at what other plugins are in the project and repeat.

I have discovered a serious issue with Slate VCC through this method.

Thanks, you are right, Reaktor 64 bit in coexistence with the 32 bit versions caused the crash. I moved the 64 bit versions into a temporary folder and it works. There is obviously a problem - question is, if it’s a problem of NI or Cubase.

However, I think I will render the respective tracks to audio and remove the source tracks. Later on I will check whether Reaktor 64 bit in general works with C8 - hopefully;-)

You did not specify your system which would help with troubleshooting.
I always delete or move all 32 bit plugins that are duplicated in 64 bit. All other 32 bit plugins I use, which are only one or two, are J Bridged.
In short Cubase 64 is not very welcoming to 32 bit plugins. It never was, as the internal bridging never worked very well.