Opening original Cubase *.ALL files

Can anyone tell me if it’s possible to open really old Cubase *.all project files? These are from the 1st version of Cubase, from like 1996 - the one with the big red dongle. Yes, I’ve been using it for that long. As I recall it was basically just a midi-based sequencer at that time. Currently running Artist v9.0.3 on a Win7 system. I still have Cubase 4 on my system to help with old files, but even it doesn’t recognize the .ALL files.

Thanks.

Sticky at the top of this forum?

Not sure why you bought Cubase Artist when you could have just upgraded your Cubase 4 to Cubase Pro for less (assuming that’s the full version of Cubase 4)

Your license can run Cubase SE 3, which can open .all files and save them as modern Cubase projects (.cpr), which you can then finish in Cubase 9.
ftp://ftp.steinberg.net/Download/Cubase_Essential_4/Cubase_SE_3_VST_Song_Conversion/

That was the low tier version of Cubase though (comparable to Cubase Elements), and it may not be able to open some big projects correctly. If you upgrade to Cubase Pro, you’ll be able to run Cubase SX 3 and you’ll get Cubase Pro 9.5 for free when it comes out.
ftp://ftp.steinberg.net/Download/Cubase_4/Cubase_SX_3_VST_Song_Conversion/

Thanks MrSoundman. Very helpful.

Thanks Romantique. It was Studio, not the full. And I worked through 5, 7, and so on in recent years to Artist 9.

As it turns out, I came up with a solution along the lines of what you’ve suggested (and the reply by MrSoundman). I posted here because a dozen tries at searching the forum and Support had turned up everything but what I was looking for. Long story short, I continued to dig & finally found some of this info in the Support knowledgebase. I just happened to still have the disk for SE, which I’ve installed. They were fairly basic working version projects. It appears to do what 3 would do; maybe just a question of how must is lost in translation.

If that doesn’t work, I’ll be jumping back to the links you guys have provided. Thanks for your help. Much appreciated!! :smiley: