Openning SVG files exported by Dorico 4 under MacOS in Windows

Hi there,
I have noticed that SVG files exported from Dorico 4 under MacOS do not display part of the image correctly in Windows. After copying bravura.otf and BravuraText.otf into Windows, the image is displayed correctly. Is there a licensing issue with copying these fonts to a computer that does not have Dorico installed?

No, it’s not a licensing issue. It’s the way Dorico saves SVG files. It doesn’t embed the fonts, or doesn’t convert them to curves, or something like that. It’s been discussed and requested before, but at present, SVG is not a reliable way to ensure your slices display uniformly across all devices. PDF is a safer bet.

1 Like

For inserting many small selections of scores into HTML or Word documents, PNG and SVG are better than PDF, I think, if I am not mistaken.
The quality of SVG seems to me to be better than PNG.
If the necessary fonts are copied manually, then there seems to be no problem. I just want to know which fonts to copy. Some system fonts seem to be included, but I am not sure.

PDF is just as good as SVG, IMO. And much more reliable. Both are vectored, so image quality should be perfect. I do all graphic slices as PDF and it works very well.

PNG is rastered, so you will get pixelization. Avoid PNG.

1 Like

Dorico doesn’t embed any fonts when exporting SVG files, so any font that you use will need to be installed on the computer on which you want to use the SVG files. All of the fonts included with Dorico are licensed under the permissive Open Font License (OFL), so it’s OK to copy them to other computers or redistribute them along with your projects if you wish. There are a few restrictions concerning selling the fonts individually, so you should consult the OFL if you are thinking about selling OFL-licensed fonts.

1 Like

For print work, nothing beats PDF. If you’re doing graphics for a webpage, then you’d be better off with PNG.

1 Like