Operation manual

Hi,

I noticed that the current version of the operation manual does not cover all the new features implemented with the new releases.
Will there be an updated version of the manual soon?
Thanks

We are in the process of hiring a new writer to join our team in London, and as soon as he or she has joined us, we will be able to accelerate the revision of the documentation.

How can I get a copy of the manual?

I believe the manual is available only as an online document. I agree it would be beneficial for at least “old fogies” like me to have a hard paper copy available. However, with the software sill undergoing pretty regular changes, Steinberg may consider things are changing too rapidly to make a commercial hard copy a viable prospect(?) However, you could always print out the online pdf copy.

You can download a PDF file of the current state of the Dorico Operation Manual from Steinberg.help but there is no paper copy available.

Daniel, thank you for your reply.

Hello Daniel,

Thank you for the information. Could you please attach a link. I could not find the PDF file. I only found the online documentation.

Carlos

You can download a PDF file of the current state of the Dorico Operation Manual from Steinberg.help but there is no paper copy available.

Try here, Carlos.

Hello Daniel,

Thank you very much.

Daniel, I realize it might be a little too soon to say, but will a third-party Dorico guide be somewhere in the pipeline? The advantages of this kind of guide are many, not the least that they are physical print products.

Thanks,
Bruce

At the moment I am not aware of any third party publishers considering any books on Dorico.

Hello Daniel,
Dorico is looking better and better, like I said before I can’t wait to see the upcoming update.
Do you know if the update would come with an updated PDF manual?
I noticed that the one you sent me the link doesn’t have a version/date reference so it is hard to know to what version refers.

Thank you for all the hard work.
Carlos

Carlos,
I read on the forum that Dorico’s team has just hired an author, and that his job could be decorrelated from Dorico’s updates.

There will not be any update to the documentation that is published on Steinberg.help when Dorico 1.1 is released, but I have written up pretty extensive documentation for the new features in the update, which will be included in the version history document that you will be able to download from the same location as the update itself. This will certainly form the basis of documenting the new features in the main online help system in due course.

Ok, but can that document (it is the one most will click on to refer to) at least get a date/time/version ‘stamp’ added, now…? As @guitarlos points out in his post above, its confusing/frustrating - since that omission makes the info contained there, untrustworthy…

Was it written in Dec 2016, Jan 2017, last week, last month…? To what edition of the released software does it refer, etc, etc…

I agree that documentation and documentation updates (particularly in a rapidly changing/improving product like Dorico) should be time-and-date-stamped with its creation date.

I will ask the manuals team whether they would be happy to include this kind of information in the material published on Steinberg.help.

If you don’t want to put date and version information in the online help (it doesn’t really belong there anyway - the online help is always the “latest version available” by definition) an alternative is to stick to a consistent document naming system for the PDF versions - e.g. “Dorico version [version-number] Operation Manual, [date created]”.

But personally I tend to rename downloaded documents anyway, to give them consistent names that I can understand!

But personally I tend to rename downloaded documents anyway, to give them consistent names that I can understand!

I usually make the date part of that name, when it is a question of a document that will be updated in the future.

But the problem is to know whether the currently online version is later than the one you last downloaded. (It may not necessarily have more pages,)

I would appreciate a more complete reference manual. If there is one, I cannot seem to find it. I don’t mind if the Manual is online, I don’t mind if it is lacking time-stamping. What I do mind is that the indexing seems limited. For example, I wanted to Delete measures at the end of a Flow. I searched “delete” and found lots of things, but not what I wanted. I had to come to the Forum here to learn that what I wanted was “Trim Flow”. Again, if the search feature was more robust, I might have found this. BTW, is there a document that shows every Menu item and Key Command, and what it does?

Oh, and by the way. I LOVE DORICO!! And I was a music engraver for many years!