Opinion after 7 days with Cubase 7...

So, you know something about Steinberg’s working methods? Or is that just a supposition? … Or, to put it another way: what your basis for saying “likely”, there?

My basis is for saying 3rd party developers are likely behind bundled products is that it makes no business sense for SB to be messing around with toys when they have work to do.

Sure, there would “probably” be routines involved with development and outsourcing of new products to boutique studios for robustness and stress testing, but by the same token, to suppose (or surmise) that plugin development has a direct impact on the overall quality of the DAW is pure conjecture in my view.

The reason I say this is because plugins that conform to standards as determined by Steinberg will have no detrimental impact on DAW operation and sure you might get the odd parameter mishandled but on the whole no catastrophic situations, i.e. program unresponsiveness as the VST/ASIO layers are tightly integrated and made to work with both the native audio system of the OS and DAW applications more generally.

So, you dislike conjecture? – But this too is conjecture, isn’t it? …

IMHO, there’s nothing wrong with conjecture, so long as it’s not expressed as if it’s fact.

I find it helps when posters are careful to highlight opinions/conjecture by suitable phrases (eg “I think …”, "IMHO ", “It seems to me that …”, etc) to avoid giving the impression that the poster is trying to pass off opinions/conjecture as fact. IMHO, disguising opinions as facts (as can often be seen in forums) is misleading (and hence inconsiderate), wastes readers’ time, and makes the poster look foolish.

Back to topic…

I’m about to go back to 6.5. The only thing that prevents me doing so is, strangely, the chord track feature. I say this simply because i didn’t think about it before upgrading. But, after tests and experiencing, it is the only true innovation that makes worth the upgrade, IMO. I can live with the 6.5 mixer, no matter the MixConsole and its new look and FX rack feature.

Beside this, a lot of problems, UI wise, but not only :

• the removal of .vmx support for saving mixer channel settings,
  • the removal of the ‘Preferences/Work area’ page which allowed you to set precisely the appearence of horizontal/vertical grid lines,
  • The erratical behavior of the R/W buttons in the group/FX channels display of the project window,
  • the new project cursor that doesn’t add anything, excepting a confused and blurry vertical zone for aging eyes such as mine,
  • the flashy white background of the Overview line,
  • the useless Remote Control Editor, unless you have a MCU compliant bidirectional data exchange surface contoller,
  • the more ASIO resources taken for every project under C7 (compared to C6.5) ; ASIO guard feature doesn’t help in any way.

All this makes me think that I wasted time and cash for the C7 upgrade. Again, the only feature worth is the chord track. Just waiting now what the 7.0.2 update will bring, but I don’t hold my breath…

Sorry for adding a so negative view of it…

I quite like it how it highlights where it is on the bar/beat line.

I have a feeling that improving the resolution of the mixconsole will inevitably have increase the resources required from the PC/MAC. I have no problem with this but you know many will…