Optimized NPPE Instrument Templates

Hello fellowship of “the” Dorico, and @Wallander ,

I would like to start a topic here, where we could discuss about optimized (custom) NPPE Instrument templates, and even share them with the community.

What “Optimized” means?

1. A template that provides full articulation playability, even scenarios where Divided instruments are able to play different articulations.
  • When two, or more Staves per Instance is useful?
  • When a separate Instance of the very same instrument should be created?
  • The String divisions are the most complex thing in the world of the VIs. Some thoughts here would be welcomed.
  1. Still the template should use as less, as possible computer resources.

2. Here I would ask Arne, if he is willing to share his opinion and instrument templates (not the playback ones) with us.

Best regards,
Thurisaz

It’s a very interesting topic to me, Thurisaz, but could you define exactly what you mean by instrument template?

I’m familiar with playback templates, and project templates.

Hello @RichardTownsend,
I glad to read that you are interested in this topic. Thank you, very much! :slight_smile:

Well, It’s simple. The Instrument Templates are just combination of various instruments, that can be used per project, or “one to serve them all”…
For example:

This is part of my custom Iconica Sketch Instrument Template for Double Orchestra.

• It can be created and saved as NPPE Template preset.
  • Those kind of Templates are not Playback, nor Project (those templates are mostly hosted inside the DAW /Notation app and they may contain additional data - page size, staff size… predefined mixer plugins) .
  • Surely they could be shared freely with the community, since they don’t keep any NP Playback Engine, related information that is proprietary.

I hope the mystery is revealed! :slight_smile:

Best regards,
Thurisaz

Got you! Let me put my thoughts together.

1 Like

I’m not sure if it’s practical to share the templates themselves since many may not have the libraries or playback engines, but sharing strategies or tips might be helpful. Also how these templates may interact with a Dorico template is important as well.

For example I route instrument groups to different stereo outputs. Taking the woodwinds in your screen shot as an example, I’d sent the flutes and picc to Stereo1, Oboes and E. horn to Stereo2, Clarinets and bass clarinet to Stereo3 and Bassoons to Stereo4. These four outputs show up as separate outputs in the Dorico mixer where I have an instance of MIR Pro on each channel and positioned on the MIR stage where those sections would be.

Is this the kind of thing that’s helpful? I have a strategy for divisi strings as well.

3 Likes

Hi @winknotes,
I hope you are doing marvelously well! :slight_smile:

Yes, this is pretty helpful information. Thank you very much for sharing it here! :slight_smile:

Of course you could add some thoughts about the Divisi as well.

Well, sharing templates, in case someone owns the NP Playback Engines and the libraries, could welcomed. Of course the strategies are the essence of this topic.

Best wishes,
Thurisaz

This is how I deal with string divisi:

First I use ‘Independent Voice Playback’ for each string staff. Here’s a screenshot of Violin I as an example:

Screenshot 2024-06-06 at 11.08.24 AM

Voice 1 stems up routes to a NP midi channel that triggers tutti strings (VSL Synchron Strings Pro Violins 1), Voice 2 stems up routes to a NP midi channel that triggers Synchron Elite strings (Violins 3) and Voice 1 stems down routes to a NP midi channel that triggers another instance of Synchron Elite strings (Violins 5). So when the divisi notation is stems up/down it will trigger the two instances of Elite strings which is a chamber sized section and tutti triggers the full section.
Here’s a screenshot of NPPE violins:

2 Likes