Option for Playing and Orientation/Entrance Cues

It would be cool if in the future Dorico differentiated Playing Cues (with all necessary playing information) from Orientation/Entrance cues (which can range from having just notes and rhythms to anywhere upwards of that). I’m imagining a future where they both have a section in Engraving Options and one is entered in the popover with Enter and one with Alt+Enter.

Yes, you can individually toggle each option in the Properties panel, but that’s a good 4–6 toggles per each playing cue (or vice versa if you’re coming at it the other direction).

2 Likes

Would it not be just as good to copy playing cues just like regular music but scale the notes to cue size?

1 Like

That would miss the point of Dorico’s dynamic cues, which reference the source material (and thus update automatically if the source material is modified).

If I am composing and I want to make a change in a line shared by violins and flutes, I have to make the change in both places. Playing-cues seem to me more like that. If it’s optionally to be played by a different instrument, as likely as not it might require different markings.

On the other hand, Finale has had a “mirror tool” for this idea since v.1.0 in 1988. (Not that anybody uses it because it is so confusing.) So I’m not trying to discredit this FR, just saying what I would do, for comparison.

I’m sorry if I don’t understand correctly. Is playing cue the engish term for “à défaut” in French, meaning that if some instrument is not available in the orchestra, the one that has that cue will play it?
I wished that option existed too. The main difference for me is that those cues should appear in the full score, while the entrance cues are for parts only.

2 Likes

Yes, I believe that’s what the OP meant. And excellent point.

1 Like