It would be nice to have the option to hear overlapping lanes in an Audio Track, rather than permit just one clip to play at a time or require manual creation of crossfades.
This has several advantages:
- Users crossgrading to Cubase from other DAWs (e.g., Sonar) may expect this functionality.
- Some workflows favor optimizing clips for arbitrary overlapping without regard for crossfades.
- If permitted during loop-recording, users could use Cubase as a sophisticated looper.
There are workarounds, but in my experience, each has significant limitations:
- Users can copy lanes to their own tracks. Unfortunately, this requires duplication of inserted effects too. Not only does this put additional strain on computer resources, but those effects might not be synchronized or may otherwise produce unwanted side effects.
- As a workaround to the above, one can put inserted effects in a Group or FX Track, but this precludes Freezing the track (because Group and FX Tracks cannot be frozen). Consequently, there is no way to conserve computer resources by this method.
I hope this is helpful.
Thank you for your consideration!