Option to Hear Overlapping Lanes

It would be nice to have the option to hear overlapping lanes in an Audio Track, rather than permit just one clip to play at a time or require manual creation of crossfades.

This has several advantages:

1. Users crossgrading to Cubase from other DAWs (e.g., Sonar) may expect this functionality.
  2. Some workflows favor optimizing clips for arbitrary overlapping without regard for crossfades.
  3. If permitted during loop-recording, users could use Cubase as a sophisticated looper.

There are workarounds, but in my experience, each has significant limitations:

1. Users can copy lanes to their own tracks. Unfortunately, this requires duplication of inserted effects too. Not only does this put additional strain on computer resources, but those effects might not be synchronized or may otherwise produce unwanted side effects.
  2. As a workaround to the above, one can put inserted effects in a Group or FX Track, but this precludes Freezing the track (because Group and FX Tracks cannot be frozen). Consequently, there is no way to conserve computer resources by this method.

I hope this is helpful.

Thank you for your consideration!

I agree with you.

Bye,

Giorgio

+1. This is a highly useful function to simplify and speed up workflow.

Jerry

Agree.

Ideally, this feature would be available during playback and recording. Thus, the artist could hear prior takes/lanes that might influence his/her next take, just as if those takes were in separate Audio Tracks. As is, Cubase mutes any pre-existing lanes in the actively recording Audio Track, making it sometimes difficult to get the groove right on the next take, and to know when a take was good or not in relation to other clips/lanes in the track.

I am in agreement!

+1

+1