Option to make the "Score Editor" independent from the midi mockup

Hello Steiny crew! :slight_smile:
There is one very good option that you could bring in Cubase Pro 9.5 for those people who prefer to work more with notation rather than mockups.
The composer, arranger, orchestrator to be able to perform the instrument parts by using midi controller, and after that to edit the notes in the Score Editor to look as they should be in real score, but without influencing the already recorded performance. Something like, letā€™s call it ā€œIndependent Score Editor Modeā€. There is one really good notation daw called Overture 5 by Sonic Scores. Itā€™s an existing example for what Iā€™m requesting here.
The note positioning on, below and over the staves has be much more precise, like in the notation programs (with additional grace lines).
And pleaseā€¦ improve the ā€œExpression Mapā€, again you can take Overture 5 as good example for this. The Articulation and Expression mapping has to be much more intuitive and faster, with as less as possible mouse clicks.
And last, but not at least ā€¦ make the ā€œScore Editorā€ window /mainly the Tool Bars/ to look more modern and advanced. You have Dorico, Logic Pro X, Overture 5 as awesome examples.
Thank you in advance guy! :slight_smile:
Greetings! :slight_smile:

Wouldnā€™t seamlessly exporting to Dorico solve this?

Why do I have to waste time to use another program, if itā€™s possible to be done in Cubase? What if I donā€™t own Dorico?
Iā€™m not asking to turn the Score Editor into Engraving tool for awesome looking scoresā€¦ Just to make it to work properly as composing tool.
djw, check Overture 5, there is demo version, after that you will understand my point :wink:
The guy from Sonic Scores is on the way to make the best daw for composing, arranging and orchestrating with virtual instruments, in the way it has be done. For the moment there are many bugs to be solved in Overture, to become more stable in working with heavy projects.
I did a try to make short orchestration with the same instruments Iā€™m using in Cubase, and I did it 10 times faster without spending too much time on tech things to make the orchestra sounds more humanized. Keep in mind that I have 7 - 8 years of daily /except the vacations/ experience with Cubase. With Overture Iā€™ve needed only 8 - 12 hours to become enough familiarā€¦ and I did it much faster there. :wink:
In Overture you can build Orchestral template very fast /to look like in real Score/ The expression and articulation mapping also can be done much fasterā€¦
For me the Scoring Part of Cubase is very important but itā€™s useless if you would like to make the instrument playback to sound more realā€¦
Probably Dorico is going to become something like Overture, but who knows when?! The real-time recording isnā€™t implemented yetā€¦ Thereā€™s only Step Inputā€¦ The midi editing is still primitiveā€¦

Basically, +1 from me for some of this.

Personally, Iā€™m not waiting for or expecting any kind of integration between Dorico and Cubase beyond MusicXML. No one on the dev team has said there would be, and all the speculation about it is driving a rumor mill that only creates false expectations, imo.

In Cubase using creative display quantization you can get the score to read as you would need, and I would not ask for the Score Editor to become detached from the midi events, but it would be nice to have more latitude in how far you can move a note in time visually. It does get too fiddly when you try to do stuff like this, so I end up giving up on sound/groove aspects for clear sheet music.

Iā€™m quite familiar with Overture, and own a copy. It does have some superb features that Cubase would benefit from, though itā€™s not ready for prime-time.

You can create articulations on the fly, that you can save in a couple different ways so you can access them later. Multiple track presets including everything available can be saved. The dialogs for that are simple and straight-forward.

One stand-out feature is that you can create an articulation that sends different custom midi messages for the start and the end of a note, which Cubase cannot do. This opens the door to many possibilities. I have used it to send pitch adjustments for microtonal music. Overture is the only program of its type that can do that, Finale and Sibelius require two separate objects, that you have to keep track of manually, though each program does provide a an obscure system to do it, it canā€™t be done on the fly.

There is a tool that draws or edits randomized CC, tempo, pitchbend, velocity, and aftertouch changes within a specified (drawn) range, which is amazing, and very useful for ā€˜humanizingā€™ performances.

I agree, Thurisaz.

Overtureā€™s a scoring program with DAW features included, Cubase though, is like an industrial park with factories for every possible thing you might need to do with music and sound, except for what is missing :wink: I did an arrangement in Overture, and was able to do most of what I do in Cubase. I came back to Cubase because of the flexibility- the Logical Editor, Quantize presets and such features. Overture is quite limited in those domains.

The dev does not address any kind of looping, EDM stuff or sound design. You can only edit and view one midi track at a timeā€“while you can make global edits, you can only see the results if you go look for it.

Overture is aimed at a very specific crowd- composers who read and write music, and score to video. The dev understands what is needed in that scope. Cubase tries to please everyone, which is a little bit harder to do, to say the least.

I definitely expect exchange features between Dorico and Cubase. Itā€™s just that weā€™re at Dorico v1, so itā€™s not there any time soon.