Organ in D? Workaround? Curly brace?

Hello,

I am writing (again…) for a group with strings in kammerton and organ in chorton. I have to notate the organ as if it was an instrument in D. My workaround is to create two players with Horns in D and making a group of them.

The question is: is it possible to swap the bracket for a curly brace? and is it possible to give the group a name (I.E. Organ)?

Thanks
LAE

Couldn’t you just transpose the organ part?

The organist is going to lead from the organ, so the score will be on the music stand. Therefore I need the organ part transposed and the rest of the group not transposed. Can I transpose the organ and have an independent key signature for it?

I think so. AFAIR, you can select all the music in your organ part and apply the transpose dialogue. If for some reason you don’t get the proper key signature, you can change it with the Shift-K popover, pressing Alt-Return instead of just Return when executing. This will change the key only at the selected staff.
Again, I’m not at the computer right now, so forgive me if I’m remembering wrongly.

the organ should be notated in c major.

Please elaborate. I don’t follow your logic.

Interesting, I will try that!

Thank you Leif, that works like a charm. Is the Alt+Return feature documented? I never saw anything about it.

Anyway, this is a very good solution for now. No playback, but in this case I can live with that.

You can shift the pitch of the organ part by a tone using the Halion window. Select the Organ instrument and click the Edit button, then adjust the tuning.

You might lose a note or two from the extreme end of the instrument range, but it’s probably good enough for “audio proof reading”.

That’s great, thank you for sharing that! Always new things to learn.

like in J.S.Bach’s Christmas Oratorio for example: the organ part is notated in C-Major, while every other instrument is notated in D-Major. Ok, except the trumpets, they are also notated in C-Major (meaning they are trumpets in D).

Of course, but that was not the issue!
The logic in what I wrote: if you think of the strings in kammerton as being notated in C, the organ will be notated as a D-transposing instrument, IE one major second down. Just like horns in D.

In this particular case the organ will be in Eb major and the strings in F major.

And not all organs are tuned to A440.

True. Chorton (is it church pitch in english?) can vary, but in this case it is about a=465. One major second above the strings that are in a=415.

There isn’t really an English translation of Chorton. The practical problems of combining organs with other instruments (particularly wind and brass) at different pitch standards didn’t arise, simply because there was no “tradition” of doing it.

In the “baroque” period in England, pipe organs were both secular and church instruments - for example almost all of Handel’s organ music is secular. This is one of the best surviving examples: THE ORGAN OF ADLINGTON HALL - AN INTRODUCTION AND RECITAL BY JONATHAN SCOTT - YouTube