ornaments are placed outside of octave lines

Hello,

In the screenshot, ornaments are placed outside of octave lines. In this case: trills on above the 8va.

I think all trill markings should be below the 8va…
Could I control it not using Engrave mode?

No, you have to adjust them in Engrave mode, at least for now. Slurs, octave lines, tuplets and articulations are all positioned together, and other items (such as ornaments, playing techniques, etc.) have to go either inside all of these things or outside all of them. We expect this is an area we will revisit in a future version.

Thanks!

Hi Daniel. Any update to this advice?

No, I’m afraid not. Dorico still positions slurs, tuplets, octave lines, and articulations together, and other items either have to go before all of them, or after all of them. It remains something that we want to improve, but it’s going to be a big job and we have to set aside considerable time (several months, in all likelihood) to fully work through the details.

This is something I’ve never understood.
To create the initial version of the software, with a gazilion features, all brand new, takes, what, 2 or 3 years? (How long did the development of Dorico v. 1 take?)
Then, quite soon after that, just making a small improvement (ornaments inside, not outside, the octave line) suddenly takes months (with the request pending 5 years)?
I’ve seen it happen with a lot of major applications (e.g. Adobe InDesign). Adobe overtook QuarkXPress within a few years, then added a diminishing bunch of new features, until nowadays the whole juggernaut is almost at a standstill, especially with regards simple and mundane features that have been requested for years…
I’ve never understood it!

1 Like

We cannot all have what we want as soon as we want it. The programming team has to please a lot of folks with different needs. Some things can be remedied with a little extra effort; other things need programming help to be possible at all. I don’t mind if the Development Team works on the latter first.

I know it can appear mystifying from the outside, but something that seems small to you as a user can be very significant from a development point of view.

I hardly think you can say that Dorico’s development has been at a standstill. In 2024 alone we’ve already had two releases, with another one coming soon, and we have fixed dozens of bugs and addressed a number of user requests in every release. Of course I understand that it’s frustrating when the things you are personally waiting for are not addressed in these updates, but please rest assured that we know these things are important, and we do plan to address them.

2 Likes

I hardly think you can say that Dorico’s development has been at a standstill.

Absolutely not! It’s a fine piece of software and developing very nicely.
Still, it’s just a pattern I’ve noticed that as applications grow, it becomes harder to change basic features. Perhaps it’s an exponential thing – the more complex the software, the more every small change has to be tested in case it has broken something else. Or perhaps it’s because the original developer is no longer available, so to make a small change means having to relearn the logic behind a complex subroutine…

I am not quite sure I understand this.

Does this mean that I can put all ornaments inside phrase marks. If so, I’m afraid I can’t work out how to do that.

Many thanks

No, sorry if my description of the current behaviour gave you that impression. You can adjust the positions of harmonics in Engrave mode, but you have to adjust them individually.

Well this made my day :slight_smile: