Ornaments; specifically turns

Ornaments are positioned above the note they apply to by default. However, turns are frequently positioned between two notes. There seems to be no way of doing this without manually adjusting them in Engrave mode one at a time. I would have hoped that if you select two notes and apply a turn then it would be positioned between the two. Might that be something worth adding to the list of things to look at for the future?

And another one; will it be possible to put editorially added ornaments in parentheses?

1 Like

If you move the carret to the measure beat where you want the turn, you can position it exactly in Write mode.

turn.png
(Not that I don’t think your idea is a good one.)

1 Like

For the moment, you can create bracketed (or parenthetical) ornaments as Playing Techniques.

1 Like

Thanks for the tips. I knew there would be a way of doing this sensibly, given that this is Dorico!

I spent some time today trying to achieve this using the popover with no luck. When I tried it with the panel, it worked perfectly. So, if the caret is not aligned with a note, I have to use the the panel to insert a turn. Is this normal Dorico behavior?

I’ve just tried it here and it works absolutely fine.
Note that the “optional” in step 6 of the procedure refers to the “During note input” bit, not the “hit Space” bit. That is to say that if you’re in note input (aka the caret is invoked), hitting Space is compulsory.

This step is also necessary (during note input) when inputting Playing Techniques that have duration, octave lines, gradual dynamics etc.
I’m not entirely sure why it applies to turns (that appear not to have duration) but not to immediate dynamics (e.g. mp) - that does seem like an inconsistency to me.

Thank you, Leo; the “compulsory” space was missing in my approach. I did not understand I had to advance the caret using the spacebar AFTER entering the ornament in the popover. I can’t believe I’m admitting this in the forum, but I was adding an extra space after the typing “turn” in the popover.

1 Like

Parenthesis for ornaments, it’s a great idea, both square and round brackets.

I imported a Sibelius score using XML, and for the most part it worked perfectly, or the discrepancies were of predicable kinds that I knew how to repair. But a great many notes have turns, and these all carry the jazz-style meaning of a “flip” near the end of the previous note. So I am faced with moving 50 or more turns one column to the left. Is there a way to do this en masse?

I guess you could select them via the filter, set the rhythmic grid to an appropriate value, and type Alt+left?

That worked! Thank you, @dspreadbury.

Hi, is there a way I can have parenthesis for this natural sign on this short trill?

I think currently the only good way is to add a “( )” text item. Turn off collision avoidance for it and you can place it exactly.