OSX.8 (Mountain Lion GM) compatibility

Well, tested it over past 2 days and it seems that everything is working like it did on OSX.7.4…
What I found though is, that everything seems to be much “snappier” I.e quicker
Highly recommended update indeed.

Aloha a,

So where can I purchase this?

Tried the App Store and the Apple web site with no luck.

(And if you are a developer, is there not an NDA?)

TIA
{‘-’}

Can’t wait for Mountain Lion! I’m still on Snow Leopard. Going to be a huge upgrade for me. And all it’s going to cost me is $20 :smiley:

At present, Mountain Lion is only available to developers. The GM stands for Golden Master, which one can assume will be very close to the final version due fo imminent release. Expect a public release in July. :smiley:

atlatnesiti

Have you run Cubase on ML only on your i7 iMac, or on other (older) Macs?

I have an early 2008 MacPro 8-core and a 2008 MBP, and would dearly like to know how ML is likely to run on them - Lion is said to drag these machines down…

Here’s some relevant information clipped from Mac Rumors regarding the thread subject.

With Apple having seeded the golden master build of OS X Mountain Lion to developers earlier this week, the company has locked in which Macs will support the forthcoming version of the operating system. While the machine requirements have been known for some time, the seeding of the final public release is a good time to remind users which machines will support Mountain Lion.

Your Mac must be one of the following models:

• iMac (Mid 2007 or newer)
  • MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer)
  • MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer)
  • MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer)
  • Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer)
  • Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer)
  • Xserve (Early 2009)
    Ars Technica has more on Apple’s decision, including discussion of why Apple has dropped support for some early 64-bit Macs that do support OS X Lion.

Apple declined to tell us the reasoning behind leaving some of these models out of potential Mountain Lion upgrades, but we suspected it was related to an updated graphics architecture that was designed to improve OS X’s graphics subsystem going forward. Our own Andrew Cunningham suspected the issue was related to graphics drivers, since the GPUs not supported under Mountain Lion had drivers that were written before 64-bit support was common.

Information included with the first Mountain Lion GM now corroborates the connection to 32-bit graphics drivers as the culprit. While Mountain Lion is compatible with any Mac capable of running a 64-bit kernel, the kernel no longer supports loading 32-bit kernel extensions (KEXTs).
The report notes that some of the GPUs used in early 64-bit Macs were deprecated before 64-bit KEXTs were in common usage, and thus they were never upgraded from their original 32-bit KEXTs. With the affected machines now being a number of years old, Apple apparently decided that it was not worth investing the resources to upgrade those drivers to 64-bit in order to support OS X Mountain Lion.

Tanx Weasel for that info.

So it is
‘end-of-the-OS-line’ for my early 2008 (black) MacBook.

Time to move forward with a new ax.
Don’t need the Retina display for doing music tho’
so I am glad they are still making non RD Macs.
{‘-’}

so I am glad they are still making non RD Macs.

I’ve read some disturbing independent testing on the Retina Display MPB: the cpu and gpu are pushed quite hard to run that thing. Not the sort of thing you want screwing around with cpu/gpu intensive apps like DAWs and the like. You’ll save a bundle without that display and gain back a DVD drive, gigabit ethernet, FW800 and an audio input. A more sensible package for portable music production in my opinion.

any problems with HalionOne in Cubase 6.5 on the new OSX Lion?
read my post here:Cubase 6.5 on OSX : HalionOne presets gone?! - #5 by erik.smeets - Cubase - Steinberg Forums

Aloha e

Maybe I have this all wrong but
AFAIK HAO stopped working when OS 10.7 (Lion) shipped.
That’s why Steiny gave us HASE instead.

I believe this is because HAO needed ‘Rosetta’ to run on intel Macs
using Snow Leopard (10.6).

And as of Lion (10.7) there is no Rosetta.

I have not read that Mountain Lion (10.8) will ship with Rosetta either.
And I have read thru all ‘200’ new features. (twice)

HTH (hope this helps)

{‘-’}

Thanks for that Weasel

Are you considering Mountain Lion on your Nehalem Mac?

I have it downloading now to my early 2008 2 x Quad core Xeon.

Mark

PS: I am only checking out ML because I want to use my UAD plug-ins in 64 bit mode. Then I am worried about my Korg M1 plug in suite but hoping that jBridgeM ( for Mac OS X ) | J's stuff will facilitate 32-64 in Mountain Lion! This OS stuff is such a palaver…

Love the specs Curteye

Did you have to have them specially made?

MC