OT: Lest we forget our origins

Mr. Hans Kuener @ his computer :slight_smile:

And it was ported to the Atari ST:

2 Likes

Whoa!

Fascinating: I found I had an almost pristine copy of that Ross book on my bookshelf.

1 Like

A price tag of DM 8500.

Ooof… I’ll bring this to the next thread where people argue about who gets the shorter end of the stick when there’s a grace period before an update.

6 Likes

They are quite expensive now. On Amazon they are $175-250, and recent sales on eBay have been $100+ too. I had a copy that I lost at some point (maybe it’s in a box in the attic) so rebought my current copy 10-15 years ago. If yours is really mint condition it’s probably fairly valuable.

It is to me. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Terrific. And here is another YouTube video, by Henle Verlag, also featuring Hans Huehner.

There’s an interesting book that deals specifically with the notation of new music: Erhard Karkoschka, Das Schriftbild der Neuen Musik, Moeck Verlag 1966.

It’s amazing what was possible by hand back then

Karlheinz Stockhausen: Refrain für drei Spieler. First page. Universal Edition, Wien.

Apparently there was also an English translation.

3 Likes

I own that one! Very cool book with amazing examples!

The Karl Hader book is good too for plate engraving info:

(and no, I can’t speak German, but have read through them using Google Translate on my phone)

2 Likes

I thought it was Dark Vader’s theme.

Equally terrifying. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

It sounds pleasantly meditative :pensive:

This book gives a historical overview of music printing from the 18th century to the mid-1980s. A couple of music typewriters are shown, the first before the First World War, around 1910:

The second part of the book “Die Praxis des Notengraphikers” reads like an early version of Elaine Gould’s “Behind Bars”, just not as detailed.

2 Likes