OT: Mac app for playing MIDI files

Mac users may like to know that I’ve made a ‘lightweight’ app for playing MIDI files, called APPlayMIDI. ( … d’un faune. :roll_eyes: )

Bizarrely, there’s no OS-native way to play MIDI files, and without a little app like this, you’re left trying to load them into ‘heavyweight’ apps like Logic/Dorico/Cubase etc, just to find out if it’s the right one.

Hopefully this is useful. It’s a Universal Binary, so good for Intel and ARM.

(I’ve mentioned this before incidentally, but hope it’s ok to draw attention to it more directly.)

7 Likes

Possible to write a Quick Look plug-in that uses this technology so you can simply preview a MIDI file by hitting Space, Ben?

That’s the dream. But it’s a bit more complex…

I’ll have another look at it, when time/skill allows.

Actually, it wasn’t as tricky as I thought; and I now have a prototype Quick Look preview!

A bit of interface work to do yet…

9 Likes

Nice! Please keep us updated on your progress.

Ben, nice good work!
There is an app called QMidi that is light weight and you could preview Midi Files on a Mac:

QMidi website

It doesn’t do Quick Look previews.

Very useful app, thank you for sharing!

There is now a release, v1.10, with Quick Look support.!!

The UI is a little shonky, but it works.

3 Likes

Seems to work just fine. Great job, Ben!

2 Likes

Hello Ben, FYI, I posted a link to your app at https://www.logicuser.de/forum/viewtopic.php?p=649857#p649857 and a user there who tried your app with macOS 10.14 Mojave gets the following error message:

You can‘t use this version of the application APPplayMIDI.app with this version of macOS.
You have macOS 10.14.6 The application requires macOS 12.0 or later.

Same for me running Mac OS Big Sur (11.6.7).

Who’d be a developer, eh?

Yes, I’m afraid the Quick Look plug-in relies on some OS APIs that are introduced in macOS 12.

The v1.10 app itself is otherwise no different from the previous version, v1.05, which runs on Big Sur upwards (because it’s a Universal Binary. It may be possible to make a UB that runs on earlier Intel Macs, but…)

If you’re on earlier versions, then the earlier releases, e.g. 1.02, should work.

1 Like