OT: MIDI file pitch bend conundrum

I have what is probably a very naive question: isn’t it easier to transpose this in the DAW?

For example, in Cubase the pitchbend controller data from a Standard MIDI File can be automatically converted and snapped to a semitone grid:

All that’s left to do is to transpose affected notes up or down directly in the dissolved MIDI part. A value of -50 or +50 means a semitone, -100 a whole tone and so on. It seems that the pitchbend values do not change within the part, only between parts.

Comparing (admittedly just a few random) notes converted this way with the notes from file posted by @johnkprice gives me identical results. Wondering what I’m missing here…

The bigger question is if it is legal/royalty-free.
“The music is all public domain, so I’m not sure why they do it.”

The Music might be public domain, but the transcription of the music (into published, custom scrambled midi) may be copyrightable, isn’t that right? So therefore, descrambling creates a derivative work even if the result is the original public domain version.

Searching for reference number 04810 on the index to Anglican Chants shows that the chant in the original post of this topic is number 358 on page 328 of The Anglican Chant Psalter:

Yes, it’s a well-known chant. (Made famous –or infamous– by Dudley Moore…)