Ottava bassa continuation issue

Having investigated the Engraving Options > Octave Lines dialog, I think I’ve found a buglet.

The image on the left accurately shows what happens when you have it selected, but I think that behaviour’s wrong: If you start an ottava bassa line somewhere, it’s shown as 8ba. If the line continues onto another system, it shows there as 8va (with a “v”, not a “b”).

The image on the right is, I think, just entirely the wrong image. If you select that option it just shows “(8)”.

It may be that I’ve not investigated the remaining options on this dialog sufficiently, but I’m pretty sure there’s currently no way to have “8ba” showing both at the start of the ottava bassa line and at the start of the continuation on following systems.

Update to this: a new bug seems to be present — in Dorico 2.1, the behavior has changed since Pianoleo’s post last year. Now,

• if the top switch (“Label for ottava bassa…”) is set to the left position (“Include bassa”), the result in the new system is “(8 bassa)” no matter what the bottom switch (“Suffix for ottava bassa…”) is set to.
• if the top switch is set to the right position (“Omit bassa”), the result in the new system is “(8)” no matter what the bottom switch is set to.

The graphics and captions in the Engraving Options box have not been updated and still show erroneous 8va markings.

It seems the top switch is supposed to be for whether or not “basso” is included at all, and the bottom switch for whether or not it is abbreviated instead of spelled out fully?

It’s weirder than you think, Realms of Gold.

Here are factory settings:

which results in:

I changed this option, the option for ottava alta!

to get this result:

WTAF?, as the young(er) people say…

Whoa, good find. It didn’t even occur to me to check the 8va settings. Steinberg team, please take note of this one!

The latter behavior seems logical to me.

Is this a joke?!

It looks logical if you do not read that this setting omits bassa… I mean, it does what the picture shows :wink:

In case my tastefully-annotated screenshot has caused any confusion whatsoever, this is the setting you need to change to adjust the continuation of Ottava BASSA.

Can anyone (preferably Derrek or Marc) explain what’s logical about this? It seems I’m missing something.

Dear Leo,
I’m not sure I find it logical nor easy to setup. This diamond still has a few glitches. But it’s kind of you to help the team with them!

I will admit to misreading one of the words in the original illustration. So you are correct that it needs to be corrected, as I expect it will be.

I honestly thought I was going mad when you both told me it was logical. I’m glad I’m not…

There are three Engraving Options affecting the text that appears for continuations of octave lines: Label for ottava alta at start of new system; Label for ottava bassa at start of new system; and Suffix for ottava bassa at start of new system. The first option, while it does indeed affect ottava alta lines as described, also affects ottava bassa lines by determining which of the other two options is used. If the first option is set to Octave number only, then ottava bassa lines are drawn according to the next option (Label for ottava bassa…), but if the first option is set to Octave number and suffix then ottava bassa lines are drawn according to the following option (Suffix for ottava bassa …).

We will clarify these options in a future update.