Out of Range

I’ve just come across this; an alto part on D5 triggered it.

Is it possible to select which setting - standard or advanced - you want to use?

There is no instrument editor yet in Dorico.

But it is possible to edit the configuration file instrument.xml (located in C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Dorico2)

You can change the standard and the avanced range.

Be carrefull, this is a hack : make a copy of the file before editing it.

And for David, given he’s on mac, the path will be something like this:

You get there by bringing up the Applications folder, right-clicking on Dorico 2 and clicking “Show Package Contents”. As with Windows, it’s a hack and you should save a copy of the file somewhere safe.

Thanks Leo, thanks FlorentG,

I’m wary of diving into the code but I appreciate the help. What I was looking for was some way to switch between Standard and Advanced. I thought it might be a setting available in the preferences but I couldn’t find it.

1 Like

Vaguely related to this post…
It would be nice if Dorico would input pitch in the higher octave - regardless of proximity to the previous note - if the lower octave is definitely out of range. It could still be altered after if you really want a low F on a violin…

+1
A good idea to make Dorico’s note entry smartier

Mmm… shouldn’t the composer know this instead? :wink:

Hi Andre,

Arguably yes, and if the composer/ arranger is confident in their knowledge they can turn the notification off although personally I would have thought it would be a useful aide-memoire.

I came at this from a different angle. I was transcribing a piece of vocal music for a professional choir and noticed out-of-note colours being shown for the altos. D5 for the altos didn’t seem to me to be out of range so I wondered what was going on. I read up on the 2.2 release notes and the standard / advanced setup and colours and all became clear.

It occurred to me that users might want out-of-note settings to reflect the capabilities of the ensemble they’re writing for - that’s certainly what I went looking for in the preferences.

For me, this is another really useful addition to Dorico’s capabilities. I’m not one of those who’s confident in their knowledge so I will be using it.

It depends on the use case IMO.

As an analogy, I don’t mind at all that if I’m writing a text on my phone, it automatically switches to upper case for the first letter after a full stop. But I wouldn’t want my word processor to do the same thing - I know what the shift key on my PC keyboard is for and I’m quite capable of pressing it myself!

Mmm… shouldn’t the composer know this instead? > :wink:

Not sure if this was directed at my post…?
Mine was just trying to slightly speed input up by Dorico not putting notes in octaves that it now knows are out of range. You can always override it.

this an old topic but I cannot see anywhere even in Dorico 4 that it’s possible to edit Notes out of Range from within the programme. It’s not a question of absolutes but rather being able to edit the range for a particular project because the actual players virtual or real cannot sing/play notes which Dorico marks as OK (or less commonly actually have a greater range but this is less of an issue). Is this something which is planned for the not too distant future?

This will be included in the instrument editor, when that is implemented. It’s a big feature, however, so it is not something you should expect imminently.

4 Likes