Output Multiple midi ports from one midi track?

is it possible to output to multiple midi ports from one midi track?

Yes, and it´s been mentioned here several times already that this can be accomplished with MIDI sends…

Thanks. When i did a search i just couldn’t find the answer i was looking for and i don’t visit the forum much.

Also if anyone else is reading and needs a bit more instruction, you select MIDI sends from the track inspector then select the MIDI control effect.

there are only 4 midi sends… so that means we are limited to 4 extra VST instruments that we wish to output to? I have 10 plus VST instruments that I need to output the same midi track to!

If you have a little cash to spare, you can do this (a bit of a kludge though :wink: ) via Plogue Bidule…

So duplicate the track 9 times and select you 10 different VSTi outs for your original track and your 9 new ones.

I must be missing something?

Como

What kind of midi ports? Hardware or virtual?

AFAIK, using LoopBe or LoopMidi or some other virtual cable, you can use as many midi ins of the same port as you like.

MIDI track 1: Select Virtual Cable MIDI out x (in other words, do not select a VSTi or anything else for the track output.
MIDI track 2: Select Virtual Cable MIDI in x for ‘input,’ and VSTi a for ‘output.’
MIDI track 3: Select Virtual Cable MIDI in x for ‘input,’ and VSTi b for ‘output.’
etc., etc.

I’m not at Cubase to test this out … but I can’t think of any reason it wouldn’t work.

Como

While I’m on a roll … MIDI sends are useful when you want to output the track to an instrument and also be able to send it elsewhere.

If you output the track to a virtual midi cable out, and have a different midi track with your instrument receiving that midi cable in, you don’t really need to bother with MIDI sends at all.

In fact, I find it more ‘elegant’ and easy to work with having everything available on each track, rather than having to search in the inspector of one track for the send set up.

Just make sure you have all tracks unused MIDI input set to ‘None Connected’ to avoid any midi loops!

Como

Ya i’m not sure but I think you might have misunderstood me. I want to output one single midi track to 10+ VST instruments so that I can record a melody while hearing all 10+ VST instruments playing at the same time. Otherwise I have to record the melody on one midi track and then copy and paste it on all of the others before I can hear them all play in unison.

So you want to play/ record from your MIDI keyboard and hear 10 VSTi instruments playing back at the same time to what you are playing/ recording in real time?

Simple. Load your VSTi instruments in 10 different MIDI tracks. Set each tracks input to your MIDI keyboard controller. On each track click the little monitor button next to the arm record button in the inspector. Now when you play, all will recieve the same input. You do this in real time or while recording, record one track and copy to the others or record the input to all tracks at the same time.

Como

Simple. Load your VSTi instruments in 10 different MIDI tracks. Set each tracks input to your MIDI keyboard controller. On each track click the little monitor button next to the arm record button in the inspector. Now when you play, all will recieve the same input. You do this in real time or while recording, record one track and copy to the others or record the input to all tracks at the same time.

So there is no way around creating 10 different midi tracks? I was hoping there would be some way to have a group of VST instruments on one midi track, just like Reason allows you to do by putting the synths in a combinator

No, no rack like the Combinators.

There is a great plugin by xlutop called ‘Chainer’ Products that will host multiple other VSTi and/ or VST plugins and then load as a single instance in a Cubase MIDI track to create a rack like the Combinator.

For some similar ‘freebies,’ check out http://www.stimtek.com/.

Como

I tried using Chainer but it has a very un-intuitive interface and the window disappeared when I tried to enter values so it seems busted. I want to send a Midi channel tomultiple effect channels without duplicating the midi channel. It is not clear how to do that. Basically, I have a vocal lead audio track with sends to multiple FX channels. I want to use the same midi channel to control both FX channels, one for vocoder on the main effects channel and another for the Nectar harmony feature on another effect channel.

As written by thinkingcap in the 2nd post already: use MIDI sends.