Outputs - balanced wiring or not?

I have a 44C and will grab my ohmmeter tomorrow and will make that test for you.
However…
Having a balanced connection for a high-impedance input (like a mic pre-amp) makes a HUGE difference (for noise immunity), while for a lower-impedance input (like on a line out) it makes little or no difference. So unless your cables going to your monitors are long and going around very noisy sources (ex. a frig compressor!), you will never ever hear a difference. I’ll make your test anyway, but it’s irrelevant, aside from answering about it being marketing “fluf” or not.

Now about 32-bit.
Yes the 44C can record in 32-bit, but here again, it’s irrelevant.
The bit resolution says nothing about the usable resolution.
The mic input circuitry has only 102dB of dyn. range, equivalent to about 17 bits.
The Line in 5&6 have 106dB, so about 18 bits equ., about twice better but still quite far from 32b.
This means that when recording at 24b, the lower 6 or 7 bits (LSB) are completely buried in electronic/thermal noise already.
Recording at 32b only gives you 8 more bits of completely random noise - that’s it!
Completely floating in snake oil here.

If recording at 16b only, you’re missing out on some subtle information that might be worth it. But 24b already gives more than enough to capture every iota of significant info. If available, 20b recording would already be overkill, so forget about 32b.

N.B. I’m not talking of bit resolution for the maths/algorithms purposes, only for recording.

There is no value whatsoever in recording 32b instead of 24b, and even with the fanciest 10k$ interface you could find.
To take FULL advantage of 24b, you would need 144dB of dynamics… something NO preamp could ever deliver, unless it’s running in dry-ice or even colder ambiant.

The 44C is a great unit!! But 32bit recording has nothing to do with it.

1 Like