Outputting In Mono question.

I mainly use it for “phase checking” and to see if my mix is any good in… Mono :slight_smile:

I use either the dual panner method (one speaker) for mix check or the control room mono summing (2 speaker virtual centre) for quick “phase check”

One day I’ll get myself a crappy little centre speaker for that sort of thing :mrgreen:

Let’s make one thing clear. I did in fact use the word retarted, but I never said - nor even suggested - it was retarted to check your mixes in mono, nor to do some mixing in mono.

Yeah, it’s always so much fun to visit when people misconstrue what you say. :unamused:

Actually, the signal gets quieter when you pan to virtual centre by the amount set by the pan law, -3dB default.

Which is different than what I said…how? :wink: ReRead?

While use of equal power does avoid “that problem”, and causes a worse one…one attempting to mix on any serious level might do some reading on the reason for pan laws. It’s not a flaw that needed fixing. -4.5 is the “best” at making stereo and mono balance the same…equal power at the opposite end of that.

API and Neve used the accepted compromise of -3…SSL used 4.5, at least initially…not sure about now.

Nothing wrong fundamentally, but it does give the wrong impression of what actually happens.
Pan laws can be debated till the cows come home, you choose what you think is best and that’s it, unless you share the project with others then it is of major importance that all agree on the panlaw.