Hey, I am a composer of contemporary music and work in this branches since 2008. I was also former Sibelius User until 2014, in this year I began to write my music in Illustrator. However now I have to work very fast on the notation layout, so I’d to switch back to a notation software. I brought Dorico in 1.0 Version but resell it after 2 Months. Now is my second time to work with Dorico 3.5. It gets overall better than Sibelius. In December 2020, I did a middle project with the newest version, so I would like to give some feedback.
- I don’t really understand the layout, left and right panel is very huge, maybe made for people with bad eyesights. I really recommend to make the layout like Illustrator. that you can work with smaller screen.
- I find the 4 Modus (set, write, engrave, playback. actually a hidden one is print tab) is ok, but this modis just cause twice too much clicks, my arm and hand hurt already after 2 days working with dorico. Especially I don’t like the write and engrave are totally separated. Maybe there‘s a solution that we can adjusting object by pressing shift in write mode, it do spare circumstance on work flow!
- The Layout is now very powerful, but i do lost some layouts in my last work. It‘s terrible! because I have to adjust them again. Perhaps there should be a function to „lock“ given layouts, in oder they will not disappeared.
- Ossia Stave could set to any number of lines. so we can put more additional play technical changes. especially we could work on the label of lines, so we can customize stave lines more than given types.
- We really need a separate library of symbols. Now we can use more lines, but the symbols library?
- the better comment tool. I really want to write some notes and thoughts on the score only for myself, but now the the contents of comment can’t be seen. Just because if I write them with shift+x they will change the layout of score.
- better support of midi-keyboard shortcuts. I set a lot of midi-keyboard short cut, but I can’t see them i a separate window or list, and I also can’t delete them at once.
SO hopefully my critic could give the programming team some suggestion for upcoming versions.
best wishes and thank you very much!