Overriding line text also overrides position and placement - could it not?

If I activate the Text checkbox for a line, the position, placement and keep text horizontal properties appear unchecked, which I would assume to mean that they are following the existing properties set for that line type (seeing as there are no default engraving options to follow). However that doesn’t appear to be the case, and in addition to that, setting the text placement option still requires a further resetting of the start/end gap property.

Could we pretty please have either an engraving option for default line text options or, preferably, keep the respective properties unless explicitly overridden?

P.S. apologies for what feels like bombarding this forum with my little nitpicks!

As it happens, MarcLarcher explained in a post yesterday that unfortunately the checkboxes do not know about the current preference settings. And this seems to be one of those things that is too difficult to merit fixing.

1 Like

I was following that thread, and I understand fully how property toggles and checkboxes work, however I don’t believe that applies here.

Here’s the line editor and the relevant style I created.

Which obviously shows as intended in the score:
Screen Shot 2022-01-06 at 12.29.42 am

Now if I activate the Text property, this happens: (For illustration purposes I’ve input the same text)
Screen Shot 2022-01-06 at 12.24.59 am

And if I want it to look identical to the original line style, well… this is as close as I can get.
Screen Shot 2022-01-06 at 12.27.29 am

Note that the “Text Position” property has different options to the one in the line editor
Screen Shot 2022-01-06 at 12.32.53 am

Screen Shot 2022-01-06 at 12.31.37 am

And I only have options for the vertical offset of the text if I select something other than “Centered”, but then the line continues to the left edge of the text.
Screen Shot 2022-01-06 at 12.39.03 am

(Semi-related: I can add a border to the text only in the properties panel, but I can’t set a global line style’s text to be bordered.)

Anyway… the point of all this being, when I override the text property, I only want to override the contents of the text, and not half a dozen other properties.

My mistake. Thanks for the clarification and illustration.

1 Like

Unfortunately what you are expecting to happen and what Dorico is actually doing are not saligned in this case: the Text property for a line sets an annotation, rather than editing the text of the line’s cap.

In the case of your FILL line, you have defined a cap of FILL. There is no property to edit the text of this cap. However, you can choose a different cap by overriding Start cap and choosing a different cap style from there.

This means that if you want a cap that looks and is positioned just like FILL but with a different bit of text, you should go to Library > Line Annotations and create a new annotation based on your existing FILL annotation, and then choose that via Start cap in the Properties panel.

Aha, gotcha. I think the reason this wasn’t really clicking with me is that I was creating one-off lines specific for their respective locations in the score, so making a new reusable line/annotation didn’t seem to be the right solution.

But the process makes sense to me now and I see where I was going wrong. Perhaps in the future we could have a property to change the text of a cap?

Thanks for the help!