Ozone 8 Essentials is crashing Cubase 9

Was working fine in 10.11, now on 10.12 it crashes. I saw in some other threads that it is the VST2 version that causes problems and the VST3 should work fine, but removing the VST2 version does not have any effect. Both the VST 2 and VST3 are added to blacklist and will crash Cubase if re-activated.

Does anyone have any solutions?

Hi,

What happens, if you remove VST2 version and then enable VST3 version only.

Btw, if it’s just this plug-in, I would recommend to get in contact with the plug-in vendor.

Do you have the latest version of the plug-in installed, please?

Could you share crash/dmp file, please?

Thanks Martin,

Removing the VST2 version and then enabling VST3 version still causes a crash.

I have reached out to the vendor but don’t expect a response immediately because of the holiday.

Crash log is attached.
Cubase 9_2021-12-25-201941_Macintosh.crash (153.7 KB)

Hi,

The crash confess clearly from Ozone:


Thread 0 Crashed:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
0   libsystem_trace.dylib         	0x00007fff8f966e97 _os_trace_image_was_unloaded + 271
1   dyld                          	0x000000011afb7cb2 dyld::removeImage(ImageLoader*) + 343
2   dyld                          	0x000000011afbb6c7 dyld::garbageCollectImages() + 870
3   dyld                          	0x000000011afc354b dlopen + 907
4   libdyld.dylib                 	0x00007fff8f731832 dlopen + 59
5   com.apple.CoreFoundation      	0x00007fff799a9da9 _CFBundleDlfcnLoadBundle + 153
6   com.apple.CoreFoundation      	0x00007fff799a9c2a _CFBundleLoadExecutableAndReturnError + 538
7   com.apple.CoreFoundation      	0x00007fff799e1532 CFBundleGetFunctionPointerForName + 50
8   com.izotope.audioplugins.VST.Ozone8ELE	0x0000000147fad96b 0x147f9d000 + 67947
9   com.izotope.audioplugins.VST.Ozone8ELE	0x0000000147fa1f19 0x147f9d000 + 20249
10  com.izotope.audioplugins.VST.Ozone8ELE	0x0000000147fa2a29 0x147f9d000 + 23081
11  com.izotope.audioplugins.VST.Ozone8ELE	0x0000000147fc5931 GetPluginFactory + 81

Yes, although I’ve now discovered there is something more fundamentally wrong here. Ozone 8 was just the most obvious example of this. As per a suggestion from Steinberg support, I re-initialized my preferences by renaming my Cubase 9 preferences folder and starting Cubase. The result was over 40 additional plug-ins being added to the blacklist (compared to what had originally been on the blacklist). Upon restoring my original preference file, these plug-ins are not blacklisted, but trying to run any of them results in, most frequently, nothing being loaded (if it’s an instrument, it will simply generate a blank instrument, or if it’s an effect, it will just do nothing) or, in some instances, crashing Cubase similar to Ozone 8. At least one of these instruments I know for a fact that I had been using not three days ago without issue. I have not installed anything or done anything significant to my system since then. So, there is a major problem going on here.

Hi,

In that case, I would try to reinstall Cubase and ask plug-ins. Make sure, you install all of the as administrator, please.

I’ve re-installed Cubase (as admin) and still all the same results.

Also worth mentioning is that Ableton Live sees and can load Ozone 8 Elements as either AU or VST (but for some reason does not see the VST3 version, even though it sees all the other VST3 Izotope plug-ins I have installed).

Here is the console error that is generated when I try to load one of the things that appears on the blacklist (first one is for an instrument, second is for an effect - both of these were working 3 days ago):

Error loading /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/RYM2612.vst/Contents/MacOS/RYM2612: dlopen(/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/RYM2612.vst/Contents/MacOS/RYM2612, 262): Symbol not found: __os_crash_fmt
Referenced from: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework/Versions/A/MobileDevice
Expected in: /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
in /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework/Versions/A/MobileDevice

Error loading /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/REVERB/PhoenixVerb.vst/Contents/MacOS/PhoenixVerb: dlopen(/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/REVERB/PhoenixVerb.vst/Contents/MacOS/PhoenixVerb, 262): Symbol not found: __os_crash_fmt
Referenced from: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework/Versions/A/MobileDevice
Expected in: /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
in /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework/Versions/A/MobileDevice

OK, I ended up solving this…

The issue was indeed with MobileDevice.framework that is packaged with I think an iTunes update. Basically the updated version of that package (which is in System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/) will break functionality on certain things for reasons I wouldn’t pretend to understand.

The solution is to first disable system protection (rebooting while holding Cmd-R), entering Terminal, and typing csrutil disable. Reboot and then go into the above-mentioned folder. You will need to delete that MobileDevice.framework file and replace it with a previous version (I was lucky in that I had an un-updated laptop I could scavenge it from).

So if you have an inexplicably crashing or otherwise not-working plug-ins after an iTunes update, check your Console to see if it is due to anything to do with mobiledeviceupdater and, if so, this is probably the solution.

1 Like