P-cores, e-core, ASIO Guard Windows 11 thread priority ...interesting observation on dynamic changes

Hi Folks,

I got curious about the e-core,p-core usage with ASIO Guard in Cubase 12 with my shiny new i9-13900KS (p-cores x8 (16 threads), e-cores x16 (16 threads)). In case you want to try this yourself I used the Cubase 12 demo project “Pop Demo by Austin Hull - Mixed” and set Cubase on a loop over the Chorus and Post-Chorus where the “Synths Folder” does some stuff. You can Record Enable/Disable this Folder and all of the synths will switch from Asio Guard to Real Time playback. You can observe this happening in the Cubase 12 Audio Performance meter. Record disable has a higher ASIO guard and Peak shows a lowish level. Record Enable you can watch ASIO guard drop, Peak gets bursty - all as you would expect. Record Disable and on my system the ASIO-Guard grows over a short time as the everything moves to ASIO guard again - which is what perked my interest.

Interestingly if you do this with Windows 11 Performance Meter open on the CPU page you get the image below. The first 16 blocks are the 8 pCores and their hyperthreads. The second 16 are the e-cores - You can see the e-cores being put in and out of service via ASIO Guard use. Similarly (though harder to see in the static image) the P-Cores increase load for the realtime use. I did notice after a while the p-cores became less dramatic in their change (and an e-core actually parked without consequence). I’m guessing the Thread Director in Windows got sick of my turning things on and off and just left it on the P-core (it had capacity so why not) :slight_smile: .

I thought this might be able to happen with ASIO Guard but wasn’t sure if it had been implemented or if Thread Director in Windows 11 would figure it out. I didn’t expect to see a literally ON/OFF as apparent as it is in this pic in the e-cores.

1 Like