Painful experience on macOS switching between VST windows and Dorico window.

HALLY-7341 was acknowledged after my report submission.

I see Dorico as a least-worse choice on this market, indicating that both Sibelius and Finale are all worse choices than Dorico.

Sibelius’s handling regarding the line height of OTF CJK fonts (e.g. Hiragino Sans family, Source Han Sans, etc.) are problematic. I didn’t check whether Dorico now handles it correctly but Sibelius support team has efficiency issues of solving such a region / language-specific problem. Also, Sibelius’ introduction of MS Office Ribbon design does not bring operation efficiency towards the music typing process. I see AVID people’s effort to the improvement of UI fluency of Sibelius on mac, but the major design of Sibelius is less likely to be changed in the future (similar to what Pro Tools did in the recent decade).

Regarding Finale, they are already retarded on solving the UI fluency issues on Retina mac. Apple is about to stop selling any non-Retina mac since its first Special Event in 2018.

Now I see the essence of suggesting Apple to make their own music typography software which has to be independent from Logic Pro X. Gonna talk to the people I know in Apple soon.

What does the Sibelius ribbon have to do with typing music into a staff? I input music entirely from the keyboard and keypad without touching the ribbon.

“Now I see the essence of suggesting Apple to make their own music typography software which has to be independent from Logic Pro X. Gonna talk to the people I know in Apple soon.”
Really?

I cannot tell much but the new Logic Studio suite is under preparation.

Your survivalship bias made you forgot people who engrave music with a laptop keyboard only, and Sibelius’ hotkey design is much worse than what Dorico does. In certain cases if I want to insert some symbols in Sibelius I have to click through nested Ribbons dropdowns (together with controlling playbacks, etc.); and in Dorico some symbol insertion could be done by entering tokens and some could be done by reduced amounts of button-click. The workflow of Dorico proves how retarded Sibelius 7-8 behaves as.

You could always get the job done with Sibelius and Finale as long as you enjoy the masochism provided by them.

Well there certainly are laptops with a keypad which would be what I chose if using one with Sibelius. Lenovo ThinkPad P comes to mind.

The keypad issue is clearly nothing to do with the ribbon.
Tapping the Ctrl key and then using alphabetic letter keys is the quickest way round the ribbon by far, and Sibelius even reminds you which key you need to hit to take you there!

For example, Ctrl then L then OS takes you swiftly to Layout then Optimise Staves.

Apologies for drifting quite so far off topic!

And you get your laptop suddenly rebooted by Windows Update and you failed to save the document you are working on. :slight_smile:
Even if Windows Update isn’t a big issue, I don’t have that budget to buy another Windows laptop and found Windows alternatives of the tools I use on mac.

Still not wise enough comparing to how Dorico handles the workflow now.

Great. So we’ve established:

1. Dorico itself is better than the alternatives.
  2. Dorico’s developers are more forward-looking than the others.
  3. There are some operational differences between the Windows and mac versions of Dorico, either to do with QT-framework or to do with limitations in the operating systems (I’m very happy to stand corrected; I’m not a programmer).
  4. The only person complaining about this particular difference (so far) is ShikiSuen.
  5. Given the significant time and effort it would take to fix this, against a backdrop of lots of other bugs and feature requests, this is not being put on the to-do list let alone prioritised.

Does that just about summarise it?

The 4) is bullcrap. According to Mark Larcher:

Marc Larcher
Shiki really has a point here… I think that area of the software is really “unfinished” yet, because there are some strange behaviors… For instance, if I want to change something — load a preset in the reverb (which I hope ciuld be loaded by default…), if I close the reverb window, I see my Dorico window, and I have to click on that window to have the mixer (which was active previously in order for me to edit the reverb) reappear. Which is really strange.
All the same : if I want to change instruments in the vsti, I have to go to play mode and click on the rounded e. Then I go back to my score… And the editor window is somewhere behind and I don’t know how to access it again… And it appears when I quit Dorico. Isn’t that strange? I thought it was part of Dorico, it’s useless when Dorico has quit, so it should not show… But, as I wrote, I feel these are details that will be dealt with, and until then, I don’t feel like explaining how I think it should be has any interest : the devs really know better than I, and once the job is done, then maybe I could elaborate an idea to change some behavior. And it probably won’t be necessary. > :slight_smile:

You ignored complaints outside of this forum and they may be written in languages you never read.

If you want to address the “so far”, lemme tell you a lesson: If no one address this so far, the issue won’t be solved in either your lifetime or the product’s life cycle. Similar terrible things happened with the default Chinese UI typeface (foul STHeiti family) used in iOS and macOS prior to iOS9 and macOS 10.11, and I did complaint on social networks like Zhihu for years. Apple later cooperated with another font company to make the PingFang typeface, and it works well.

And the 5) is not accurate in this case. Daniel said it “at the moment I would go so far as to say we have no plans to change this in the foreseeable future” WITHOUT THINKING that the amount of work could be significantly reduced by “only modifying the VSTAudioApp’s interactive behavior with macOS Dock or macOS system menu bar icon.” which is what I already addressed in previous replies.

Now get the bloody hell out of my thread. Your deliberate ignorance to what referred in the previous paragraph deserves my hostility.

====This marker suggests people here to NOT reply this thread UNTIL my further updates====

No, it doesn’t ShikiSuen!

Courtesy and restraint must be necessaries, not extras, on forums like these. Respected, helpful and knowledgeable members like pianoleo deserve better.

May I humbly suggest that a positive attitude - and there are infinitely more reasons to be positive about Dorico, Steinberg and Daniel than anything else - are likely to get all of us further than firing shots and offensive language?

(We have a standard to keep here :slight_smile:. Please help us keep it.)

I’m locking this thread. ShikiSuen, please do not open another thread on this topic.