Parallel compression in Wavelab?

Hi!
I’m studying sound engineering and even though I’m not sure I will ever be doing mastering in a commercial environment, here at school, if I’m recording a band I should be able to deliver finished (mixed and mastered) tracks.
I was wondering whether it is possible to use parallel compression for mastering in Wavelab.
My teacher (who is not a mastering engineer) is very keen on Pro Tools so, I cannot ask him about Wavelab but I would like to be able to work in different situations and on different platforms.
Parallel compression is obvious in Pro Tools and Cubase but is it possible in Wavelab?
Thanks!

P.S. Just got a trial version of Wavelab 8 Elements.

Short answer: No.

WL is a two track or mono track editing software. You would need Cubase or ProTools to create your tracks, and then mix those tracks down, subbing to a parallel compressor or whatever (within the recording software), create your final mix, and then import this into WL.

You could use a clip on one montage track, with a compressor.
And on another track, aligned, the same clip without the compressor.
All this is mixed at the output.

What PG said!

Absolutely you can do parallel compression within WaveLab. I use it many times when it’s appropriate for a mix.

OK, really? This confuses me, PG. This is WL8 only? I did not know that you could stack duplicate tracks in WL8 and not in WLE8. How many tracks can you stack in WL8, BTW? …or are you talking some type of mono source?

Track count in full Wavelab is unlimited - it has been from the beginning IIRC. I don’t know about Elements, it says it is a ‘limited’ feature in the comparison, but I would suspect something in the order of eh, 64 or so?

This is WL8 only? I did not know that you could stack duplicate tracks in WL8 and not in WLE8. How many tracks can you stack in WL8, BTW? …

In WaveLab 8, you can have no limit on the number of tracks.
In WaveLab Elements 8, you can have 3 tracks.

OK, I get it. I learned something, thank you. :laughing:

On the track head, there is a button. Click and you will see a menu.

Thanks, PG. I learned something!

Mmh, me too. Not quite 64 tracks then… :sunglasses: