Part clef override

I’m trying to make a solo bass part which has a transposition of two octaves and a major second. I’ve copied the layout and applied the transposition, which works fine, including the octave displacement, but I can’t get the part to display in treble clef, despite the fact that I’ve tried to set it this way in the overrides dialog. Any ideas?

Make sure there are no explicit clefs on that part, otherwise the explicit clef prevents Dorico from changing it as you requested. That is a problem I already solved for a fellow French speaking Dorician on FB.

Thank you, Marc! Since it was an XML import, it did indeed have explicit clefs. It has been awhile since I’ve had problems with this so I’d forgotten.
For this particular project, I’m also really thankful for Dorico’s truly independent time signatures: in the original parts (early 1600’s), the solo part is notated in 4/4 and the continuo part in 4/2, and I’m actually able to notate it without workarounds.

I have the same problem with an XML import, where I cannot override the clefs. Is there a way to make a clef non explicit, so I can override it?

You can click on and delete explicit clefs imported by XML.

Click on what, please?

On the clef. If only the individual clef changes color, then it is an explicit clef. If all the clefs change color, then the clef is not one imported via XML.

All clefs change color when I click on them. It is a piece for symphonic wind band and I need to make extra parts for e.g. the trombones. I can transpose them, but I cannot force the override for a treble clef.

Can you attach the project itself here, @Guy_Cuyvers?

Science Fiction Full Score - transposing instruments.dorico (1.3 MB)
Thank you for asking, Daniel.
Here it is.

In your score, most clefs at the beginning are selectable individually in Write mode/galley view, which means they are imported overrides for the default clef of the instrument. Simply select and delete every clef that turns orange when you click on it. Most (if not all) will not visibly change appearance, except for not being selectable anymore in Write mode.

Is it really that simple?
I owe you a lot of thanks because I have spend many, many hours searching for a solution.
Most grateful for your reply, Pjotr!
Guy

1 Like