"Paste to matching track name"

It was added in v9.0.20 (Edit → Functions) - anyone know it what it does? I can’t figure it out, after trying a number of experiments :question:

no idea…

all it does here is paste (like when using ctrl.v)

• I would imagine that it should paste duplicates to all tracks with the same name ? :stuck_out_tongue:

Same question. I’ve not used it and will have to experiment with it. Has the on-line documentation been updated; has the downloadable Operations Manual PDF been updated?

I found that it will paste an audio event to a track that has the same name as the track the event originally came from, and if there is not already a correctly named one there, it will create one.

Experiment with copying from one project to another to learn more. I just played with it for a few minutes and can’t really guarantee my finding.

I’ve tried the above, AFAICT it does the same thing as a normal paste. Guess we’ll have to live in mystery until they update the documentation :slight_smile:

I’ve tried a few go’s and it seems to do exactly what it says. It will pasts the audio part on the track with the same name at the cursor position. Even if you have another track selected.

Except -

1. Give a part on a track a new name, and copy it.
  2. It still gets pasted on the original track, even though the part and track name now don’t match - and it gets renamed to correspond to the track name.

So try to outsmart it -

1. Give a part on a track a new name.
  2. Create a new track that corresponds to this name.
  3. It still gets pasted on the original track, and gets renamed to match the track.

This shows that it isn’t really paying any attention to the track name, what it really seems to be doing is pasting it on the track it came from. Sort of like Paste at Origin, but on the vertical axis instead of the horizontal. There’s only one condition where it seems to strictly pay attention to the track name, and it’s if you delete the original track - in this case it creates a new track with that name, as Steve mentioned.

Complicated, and weird :wink:

Two issues"

1. WHY NO DOCUMENTATION? Why bother to create a feature if you can’t take the time to EXPLAIN IT?

2. Who decided THIS was the ONE new feature to add to 9.02? I mean, with -all- the GREAT feature ideas just LANGUISHING in the Feature Request Forum, who decided that THIS little beauty was sooooooooo gosh darned ‘essential’ to the forward progress of Cubase?

—JC

It looks like it’s using track ID or something like that to identify the destination. It’s indeed weird and confusing and I really can’t think of any situation where I would want to use something like this.

Except maybe when you’ve moved a lot of parts away from multiple tracks and you want to place them back to it’s original track in one go later on?

I could be wrong but as a coder I often add my own bits for testing other resources and obviously mean to hide them from the end-user…maybe this is something not meant to see the light of day?

In the bad old days, I was a programmer as well. And when such things were discovered, we put on our big boy undies and either:
a) issued a fix which removed the thing or
b) issued an update to the docs

What grinds me is that it is sooooooooooooooooo EASY now for a dev to do b) (as opposed to my day with the old 3 ring binders). There’s simply NO EXCUSE for undocumented features.

It’s not a new feature, it was already there in key shortcuts. It was added for a “high profile” user.

The use case is when you want to copy multiple tracks from another project. This makes all source project tracks go into tracks with the same names in the destination project.

That makes sense. This could come in handy in this situation, especially because it creates the tracks before copying. Thanks for the info!

That was my guess about it being a favor to a high profile user. I can almost hear the phone call, “we put it right on the menu for you.”

It’s probably a useful feature having evolved from the workflow practices of said high-profile user. That’s fine, but some kind of documentation and video showing, in detail, how this works, and what it’s good for is needed by hoi polloi. I understand there might be some documentation lag. I hope we see something about this soon.

I’ll have to try this idea of putting the tracks into a new project. Thanks for suggesting that usage.