Pasting from 2-voice into 1-voice stave

When moving one voice of notes from a stave containing notes for two voices, - into a stave intended for one voice only, I notice that Dorico preserves the ‘designation’ of that voice after pasting. - Thus stems for that voice can remain all up or all down, and/or any rests from the other voice (accidentally copied?) are pasted in as well. Sometimes those other-voice rests paste themselves in anyway.

Is there a way to tell Dorico that the cut voice should be pasted to present itself as a single-voice line on its new stave? Without this I find I sometimes have to give up and start entering the notes all over again, so that no two-voice interpretation is inferred.

Thanks for any advice here. :neutral_face:

Context menu >Paste special > Paste into voice… should do exactly what you’re looking for.

Or after the fact, select everything and change its voice.

1 Like

There is Edit > Paste Special > Paste Into Voice > … but this doesn’t take all notes from multiple voices and paste them into one voice.

But Edit > Paste Special > Duplicate to Staff Above / Below does. It puts all notes in Up-stem Voice 1. I find it is really handy (when you know it does that).

A banquet of solutions. :bowl_with_spoon:

Thank you. :smiley:

Still having problems with this…

I’ve see this:

and this:

I have a bar containing two voices. I’m cutting the lower voice and pasting it into an empty stave below.

I want for both voices to appear as single voices - the remaining voice in the cut-from stave and the pasted voice in the new stave.

After I have cut and pasted, the voicings (rests and stem directions) are preserved, so I end up with two-voice notation in each stave. :confused:

I can see the ‘paste into voice’ command:

…but as can be seen, there is no option there for ‘paste into single voice’.

Have you tried Duplicate to Staff Above / Below yet? If your destination is not an adjacent staff, you could create a temporary scratch instrument for this purpose.

Thanks Mark.

If it’s an adjacent staff, you could use the commands to move material to staves above/below which if my memory serves tends to use the first active voice on the moved-to staff.

You’ll notice those commands are similar to the N/M key commands for crossing (but not fundamentally moving) notes to other staves to create cross-staff beaming.

Thanks again Lillie for your patient care. This technique works perfectly. :smiley:

…Select the notes of one voice, ensure no parts of the other voice line are selected (rests, notes, dynamics etc.) then type Alt-M to move that voice alone into the lower stave.

The only tricky thing is clicking to select and deselect what does and does not need to be moved into the adjacent stave.

For convenience it’s simple, if necessary, in the Instruments’ Setup panel, to drag the receiving staves (for two voices to be separated) to one directly above, and one directly below the donor stave. In this way, Alt-N (Mac) can be used to move the upper voice to the upper receiving stave and Alt-M to move the lower voice to the lower receiving stave. After voice transfer the receiving staves can be dragged back into place.

Just as Dorico can select notes between a first and last note when Shift-clicking, it would be great if Dorico could recognise and respect when two voices occupy one stave, for voice notes selection. At present, a Shift-click action does not distinguish between the voices in the way Dorico does when the voices are on separate staves.

NB Rests need to be selected also, otherwise Dorico does not always paste these. I’ve experienced notes being moved to the correct position, but without rests in between. If rests seem to go missing, check in Properties panel if ‘Ends voice’ applies to a note preceded or followed by missing rests .

It does. I suggest you explore Edit>Filter>Voices.
(all this is explained in the manual)

1 Like

Janus Genius. I stand corrected. Sorry. This works perfectly.

And you can make a convenient jump bar command. I use jfd and jfu for filter down or up stem.